What's new

classes taught in English...

17 Jul 2007
I am looking for a University that has regular classes taught in English.I know that ICU in Tokyo has English classes, but I am looking for a school in Nagoya.
Any recommendations?

Depends a lot on what you want to study, what level you are at (undergrad or post grad), etc.

Limiting yourself to Nagoya is going to cut out most of your options.

You can take a look at Nagoya University's website here:

Nagoya University

hello, thanks for the link.
I am wanting to take classes required for graduation(english, history, science etc.), while taking a Japanese language course. I have also been thinking about becoming a high school English teacher in Japan, so some classes to help me with that might be good. Anyway, the reason that I would like to be in Nagoya is because I am very familiar with the area, having been there twice on foreign exchange, and I have some good friends there too. But, Tokyo would be a nice change, just to experience another part of Japan. I thought I would have had to wait to go back to Japan because I have to be fluent to take classes other than a Japanese language course, but then I thought about ICU etc.

Does Nagoya University have English classes?

I have also been thinking about becoming a high school English teacher in Japan, so some classes to help me with that might be good.

Do you mean you're thinking about becoming a regular, full-time, career high-school English teacher on the same career path as Japanese? Or something like the JET program?

I am wanting to become a full time high school english language teacher. I haven't really thought about any programs.

Have you thought about licensing requirements/restrictions, and the fact that you will be expected to function in a Japanese-only work environment, including all your various paperwork, reports, interaction with parents, etc?

If you want to be a regular high school English teacher, it is going to have surprisingly little to do with actually teaching the students to effectively use English. If that was your idea, it will end up being an exercise in frustration.

You will have to acquire the 教員免許 (J-Google it), which means you are going to need to be in the education department of a university working toward acquiring it, with no time for assing off for four years in a school where they teach you in English. You're going to have to hit Japanese study and hit it hard every step of the way.

Back
Top Bottom