What's new

Chopsticks

Sultan

大学生
10 Nov 2015
So, recently I got the parcel from China with metallic chopstics and started eating using them. Well, not much of easy and it takes so much more time. How long does it take a Japanese to finish a bowl of rice? I've watched explanation how use chopsticks but I guess I don't handle them well. Also probably another problem is that they are metallic. Any tips, advice?

Metallic chopsticks are for stirring/manipulating ingredients in the process of cooking, especially tempura.

Also i'd like to note that increased duration of time required to finish a meal helps my digestion since i switched from fork/spoon to chopsticks.

Металлические палочки используют при готовке? А что на счет еды? Я заказал несколько пар металлических. Какие вы используете?
P.S. надеюсь, здесь можно на русском общаться, раз уж встретил я русскоговорящего.

I believe discussions in open threads are to be conducted exclusively in English (or Japanese in the relevant section of the forum) according to the rules. So i guess it'd rather PM you.

In Korea the chopsticks are often metal.

With practice it will take the same amount of time as using any other eating utensils.

For me as a Vietnamese person it doesn't take very long. It also depends on what size bowl/plate you're using. I generally use the smaller rice bowls and if I'm eating alone it takes me just around 1-2 minutes. Don't rush yourself when eating though. I use wooden chopsticks so I don't know how these compare metal chopsticks. I guess over time and practice, you'll get better eventually

Are the whole chopsticks metal? If so, it would be Korean ones, not Japanese, as already mentioned. The handle of chopsticks for tempura must be wood, or your fingers would get scalded.

It does take awhile to get used to handling chopsticks, but not *that* long. I do have the advantage of using them since I was young. Back in the day, Chinese restaurants gave you chopsticks and you had to ask for a fork if you couldn't figure out how to use them, so anyway, I've used them intermittently since I was a child. I bought my own (laquered wood) chopsticks when I was in college and for awhile used them for all sorts of things, and I still use them whenever I cook an Asian style dish.

There are two things about eating rice with chopsticks - one is handling the chopsticks properly to make a very narrow two-pronged fork when eating rice. At least for me, I have the most success pinching off a lump of rice with a scissoring-motion of the chopsticks, and then scooping that lump up with the chopsticks acting as a small fork. Trying to pinch rice between the chopsticks doesn't work well. The other thing is the rice itself - a light, flaky rice like a European pilaf or an Indian saffron rice is extremely difficult to eat with chopsticks, while a Chinese 'sticky rice' is extremely easy to eat with chopsticks. Both the variety of rice and the amount of water used factor into how sticky or flaky the rice is. (starchier rices like arborio or sushi rice are stickier - in general shorter grains tend to be stickier, and more water is stickier.)

Anyway, try to use the right variety of rice and follow a Chinese, Japanese, or Korean recipe. If you become adept at using chopsticks you can use them other varieties of rice if you like, but you'll have better luck learning them if you're using the right kind of rice. If you're unsure which of the varieties available to you are appropriate, then choose short grain if you can, medium grain if you have to, and avoid long grain as much as you can.

Try tipping the bowl over your mouth, use the chopsticks to get all the rice in there. If a big chunk gets stuck in your throat unclug using the back of the chopsticks.
Estimated time: 5 seconds.

Metal chopsticks are usually used in Korea, in Japan they might be used for cooking or stirring, but not usually eating unless you are in a Korean restaurant.

It took me about one week to learn to use them properly, about 25 years ago. Now my wife's family compliment me how I use them better than their daughters.

It is not how long it takes to finish a bowl of rice, but how fast you eat, remember rice sticks together in Japan so people clump it together before putting it in their mouth. The time varies based on a lot of factors.

Back
Top Bottom