What's new

Choosing studying material

Sultan

大学生
10 Nov 2015
I've finished Genki books and started (AIAIJ) An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese. I'm only at the start, so I'm wondering, is it fine the way I go and are there books to continue after that one? Which book(s) are good for advanced level after AIAIJ?

Hi Sultan!
Good job finishing Genki! I think you chose a great intermediate textbook with AIAIJ. I use it all the time in my exchanges.

When you finish AIAIJ, why not start reading real Japanese? I have a book in my collection called "Real Japanese Fiction" that has real Japanese short stories with English translation on the opposite page and grammar explanations in the back. I think this is the next logical step for someone who has completed the intermediate level. Your grammar and vocabulary will improve a lot by reading.

You can see my review of this book on my blog here or just look up the book directly.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the above - speaking from my own experience, once you finish the "Integrated Approach" textbook, you should be ready to start reading real material including novels. I also had a look at "Read Real Japanese Fiction" at first, but quickly abandoned it out of lack of interest in the stories (though that's personal taste). Instead I picked up the first interesting-looking novel I found while I was in a bookstore in Hiroshima (ラプラスの魔女) and read that. Had no problems with the grammar, just the expected neverending stream of new kanji - after all, authors will happily use 常用外 characters wherever they please. (縷 anyone?)

If you still want to further your grammar knowledge on the side, you can take a look at the Kanzen Master series of textbooks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom