What's new

Choosing schools - please help

Grim Roach

先輩
17 Apr 2007
Hi, I'm eyeing 2 language schools in Japan, but I'm applying from outside Japan so that problem is probably that I might get rejected by these 2 language schools.

My question is that how many language schools do I need to apply on to?
I feel that 2 is not enough but translating English papers to Japanese is very expensive.

I don't even have one school of higher education but I believe the language schools will help me pick one, is this correct?

Could anyone also help me narrow down the schools that does not require a personal guarantor and JLPT Lv. 4 or 3?

I'm using this site to search for schools:

http www nisshinkyo org

Sorry for breaking it like that, I don't have enough posts to paste URLs yet.

There are too many schools but some of them require JLPT proficiency and a guarantor who lives in Japan.

Thank you for your time. I'm going back to searching schools.

[EDIT]
Fixed minor grammatical error.

Last edited:
I don't think there's going to be a problem with the language school rejecting you if you : (applying from outside of Japan doesn't change a thing. Most people apply from outside of Japan anyway)
1) Have the qualifications to get the CoE and visa.
2) Have no past problem with the immigration. (your family history included)
3) Have the money.

(since the student == money to the school) (unless the school is really anal about selecting their student)
so its mostly you vs the immigration.

I don't even have one school of higher education but I believe the language schools will help me pick one, is this correct?
Yes, they usually does.

Could anyone also help me narrow down the schools that does not require a personal guarantor and JLPT Lv. 4 or 3?
Theres alot of school without the JPLT requirement, I think(theres some with min jplt 4 OR prove that you've study more then 150 hours in a language school in your own country). Guarantor is a bit hard. Luckily for me, I have no need for a guarantor for my language school since they have an agent over here in my country(malaysia).

Tho I don't think the "Guarantor in Japan" is a 'must' requirement for most school, If the one paying for your schools fees and living fees is your family. Just need the prove that your family can support you.

e.g w ww.tij.ne.jp/en/course1.html#04 (got randomly from the site you gave)

Ask them directly (by email or phone) to confirm tho.

my old school ::
w ww.nisshinkyo.org/MemberHome/5036-E.html

I would suggest for you to try and find a Japanese language school in your own country and try to see if they have the option on sending their student to Japan. If the school have some kind of connection with any language school in Japan (for example, they hire Japanese teacher from that school in Japan) they should have some kind of a course to get you to Japan with all the procedure sorted out. That how it works in my case.

There's also some language school in my country that prepare a course that takes you straight into a selected University in Japan without going through a language school in Japan. Theres probably a chance that theres something similar in your country.

Or check if the school have any sort of agency in your country.

I hope that makes senses.

Theres probably other JREFer with better info on this then me tho.

Last edited:
Thank you very much.

I feel relieved now.

As for the Japanese language education institutions, here in the Philippines, I don't think I'll be able to find one easily since it's not really on the market.

I can enter some universities here and learn the language there and then take advantage of the JASSO here in the Philippines to get inside a university but I'll feel better if I study the language in Japan instead, I feel that I'll learn faster there and my aim is to get into a special training school anyway since I already have a degree and I don't think they offer such schools because last time I checked they only have universities available.

It is still a good idea, I might consider it in case I get rejected.

I'll just make sure I send my application forms and the necessary documents early.

is to get into a special training school anyway since I already have a degree
We're in the same boat then, just I'm already here in the special traning school. :)

Yes, JASSO doesn't have any offer for Special Training School as far as I know too. They do have somekind of a scholarship tho for those who already studying here, but only through the recommendation from your school. Only a few numbers of spots I think(don't remember the real number) for a 2 year course. Considering the amount of foreign student and S.P.T over here. Its pretty impossible to get I might say.

Do try and call the school if you're unsure about the guarantor and stuff. Much more faster that way.

Good luck.

Last edited:
hi grim roach which two schools were you checking out? and what made you decide you liked theae schools? thanks

Kirirao: Yeah, I did e-mail them but they haven't replied yet.
It's OK though, I already have what I need. I just have to print them out and fill them up, the required documents are listed already (I have obtained them too).

acesup: Hi. I went with Asian Students Cultural Association Japanese Language Iinstitute and JASSO's Osaka Japanese Language Education Center.

I chose ABK because doesn't need a guarantor in Japan and doesn't require you to have a JLPT Lv. 4 or 3; some schools do, and even though I took Japanese language before, I don't have any documents other than my transcript to prove it which is unfortunately not enough.

The second one, the school in Osaka needs a guarantor or a contact person, I have a relative there so I chose it.

I'm not particularly picky about the school, I just want schools that'll let me pass JLPT Lv. 1, I'm having problems because some schools are picky.

For now, I'd prefer to get in the Osaka school because I like its program.

Back
Top Bottom