What's new

choosing kanji for a naturalized name

Bizen

後輩
24 Sep 2006
ツ「ニ椎?ニ停?ヲツーニ暖ツ・ニ歎ニ停?。ツーニ停?慊」 is my name's present transliteration. I was surprised to learn that there exist native surnames and forenames with identical pronunciations; for example, ツ「窶板ウ窶彷 ツ青カ窶ーツクツ」 might be an option.

Is this okay for a naturalized Japanese, or should I choose a different kanji spelling?

Thank you.

For ニ椎?ニ停?ヲツーニ暖, 窶板エツ人/窶板ウツ人, a man of dragon.

For ニ歎ニ停?。ツーニ停?? ツ渉ケ窶ー^, flourishing luck, and it seems there was a painter, Shoun Kano, in the Edo period.
You can find different characters for shou, such as ツ焦ク for "to win",ツ テ」テ for "to fly or whatever.

A bit different prounciation, 窶伉≫?ー_, sou-un, is a famous warlord name.

ツ「窶彷ツ」=Because it is a meaning to vomit, it is strange for a name.
For example
ニ椎?ニ停?ヲニ脱ニ暖=RYUTO=窶氾壺?徑
窶氾?窶氾壺?版セ=Lapis lazuli
窶徑=窶徒窶「テサ窶堙個青ッツ宿ツ、ナステ暁スティ(窶堋「窶堙?ツ催?窶堙娯?愿ャ窶徑ヒ彁ツ青ッツ A constellation of the north
ニ歎ニ停?。ニ脱ニ脱ニ停??ツ湘銀?ー_=窶堙溪?堙??堋ス窶堋「窶堋ォ窶堋エ窶堋オ窶堙娯?ー_ = A cloud of a happy sign
ツ「窶氾壺?徑 ツ湘銀?ー_ツ」

Sorry for stealing a bit of your topic here Bizen, but I have a similar question.
At one time my parents had a name plate made in Japanese of our family name: Arnold. The kanji they used: ヒ?クツ湘ヲ窶忸. I never talked about it with my parents because I found it a weird combination of kanji, but can anyone make sense out of it of what it might mean?ツ (I know it doesn't make sense in everyday Japanese, but if you would have to give it a meaning, what would that be?) And if you think it doesn't make sense, is there a better combination of kanji you can think of?

ツ「ニ椎?ニ停?ヲツーニ暖ツ・ニ歎ニ停?。ツーニ停?慊」 is my name's present transliteration. I was surprised to learn that there exist native surnames and forenames with identical pronunciations; for example, ツ「窶板ウ窶彷 ツ青カ窶ーツクツ」 might be an option.
Is this okay for a naturalized Japanese, or should I choose a different kanji spelling?
Thank you.

I don't think you want "Dragon Puke" as a family name, do you?

When are you planning on becoming a naturalized Japanese citizen?

Sorry for stealing a bit of your topic here Bizen, but I have a similar question. At one time my parents had a name plate made in Japanese of our family name: Arnold. The kanji they used: ヒ?クツ湘ヲ窶忸. I never talked about it with my parents because I found it a weird combination of kanji, but can anyone make sense out of it of what it might mean?ツ (I know it doesn't make sense in everyday Japanese, but if you would have to give it a meaning, what would that be?) And if you think it doesn't make sense, is there a better combination of kanji you can think of?

Hmmm, ヒ?クツ can mean "Asia", ツ湘ヲ is "riding" and 窶忸ツ can mean degree or something different I don't know how to say in English when used in 窶忸ツ々ツ(窶堋ス窶堙鯛?堋ス窶堙堕). So it could mean You are an Asian frequent rider, but it doesn't really make any sense, does it? OK, Let me create one for you then....
What about ヒ?ク窶拿窶慊ア?
ヒ?ク=Asia
窶拿=ability
窶慊ア=leading
Then your name can mean "An Asian leader with great ability"
How do you like it?:)

I don't think you want "Dragon Puke" as a family name, do you?

Yeah, I think 窶板ウ窶彷 sounds really, really doinky, and might even cause you to get laughed at. I think you should consider the kanji suggestions that Nagashima-san and pipokun posted.

What about ヒ?ク窶拿窶慊ア?
ヒ?ク=Asia
窶拿=ability
窶慊ア=leading
Then your name can mean "An Asian leader with great ability"
How do you like it?:)
Yeah, that sounds more like it!! I'm only half-Asian though, but I guess that's just a minor detail. :D Thank you very much!! 🙂
We always used to say that my name, Leon, can be written as 窶氾ァ窶ーツカ, and I liked that, but as I have two names which if combined means sea-lion (Leon Marijn), maybe I should refer to myself as ヒ?ク窶拿窶慊アツ・ナ?Cテゥ窶?ツ(ニ但ニ歎ニ谷ツ)! :D

I'm lucky enough to have a first name that is also used in Japan, meaning that its not so much of a problem :)

ツ「ヒ?「窶抖窶氾塲展ツ 窶氾ヲ窶ーツケツ」ツ
I think that this kanji is beautiful.

However, "ナ展" may be strange.😌

ツ「ヒ?「窶抖窶氾塲津仰 窶氾ヲ窶ーツケツ」

ツ「ヒ?「窶抖窶氾塲展ツ 窶氾ヲ窶ーツケツ」ツ
I think that this kanji is beautiful.
However, "ナ展" may be strange.😌
ツ「ヒ?「窶抖窶氾塲津仰 窶氾ヲ窶ーツケツ」
Ah that looks good indeed! I have to look up what it means though.. Thanks anyway!!

Alessandro Santos has a Japanese name: ナスO窶徭ナステ・.. Is it compulsary to have a Japanese name when you naturalize?

Well, isn't picking what kanji you will use when you naturalise on the pre-departure list?

Must be....

On the off chance that I ever seek Japanese citizenship, I plan on insisting on keeping the katakana rendition of my family name. After all, there are already three Japanese citizens with it, so why not one more?

Thank you, everyone! I especially like the suggestion of ツ「窶板エツ人ツ」 from pipokun. (My provided example wasn't a serious consideration but only meant to illustrate that its a known native spelling.)

窶堙ィ窶堙」窶堋、窶堙
ツ「ツ青カ窶ーiツ」 (life eternity)
(nanori)

Is this tasteful? 😌

I wonder if the OP has ever even been to Japan....
I've lived in Japan for 8 years and am fluent in Japanese language. Right now, I'm in the process of naturalizing from my native land of Iran.

Have you ever been to Japan?

On the off chance that I ever seek Japanese citizenship, I plan on insisting on keeping the katakana rendition of my family name. After all, there are already three Japanese citizens with it, so why not one more?
Aw, c'mon. I think ナ津、窶ケテ?, ナ陳サ窶ケテ? or 窶ーテ固スティ would make a swell name. :p

Last edited:
In the Special Edition Godzilla: Final Wars DVD, my name was mentioned in one of the extras by the Toho Executive Producer during his speech at the Hollywood Walk of Fame. I attempted to write it down (as it was subtitled in Japanese script since he spoke in English) and asked my ladyfriend in Tokyo to tell me how it translated out.

She just busted up laughing and asked, "You never wrote in Japanese before, have you?" Obviously, I botched it up even though I freeze-framed it on the tv to write it down. Sigh.

this post is cool. I want a kanji for my name! Anyone who comes up with a cool one will have his name written in ARABIC! deal?

my name is サイード

ツ青カ窶ーiツ = 窶堋ィ窶堙披?堙遺?堋ェ OBUNAGA
There is " ツ青カ窶ーi (OBUNAGA)" with a Japanese family name.
Also there's 窶堋「窶堋ュ窶堙遺?堋ェ (IKUNAGA)
I thought this would be okay, since there are so many names with identical kanji spellings? ツ「ツ青カツ」 in particular has many readings

Edit:

ツ青カ窶ーiツ ツ(窶堙ィ窶堙」窶堋、窶堙?) "life eternity"
ツ秀窶「ツ青 ツ(窶堋オ窶堙・窶堋、窶堙アツ) "excel warrior"

but this looks like 窶堋ィ窶堙披?堙遺?堋ェツ 窶堙絶?堙??堋ス窶堋ッツ ツ(OBUNAGAツ HIDETAKE)ツ ツ?

I've lived in Japan for 8 years and am fluent in Japanese language. Right now, I'm in the process of naturalizing from my native land of Iran.
Have you ever been to Japan?

I've been to Japan three times.

(Why does your flag show that you are in America?)

Off topic: Just curious what your screen names all about Bizen. There is a small town near here famed for it's Bizen pottery.

Mike Cash: Because I'm staying in America with my family.

Revenant: It's a reference to an old province called Bizen, which today is part of Okayama Prefecture. It was a center for sword smithing.

Mike Cash: Because I'm staying in America with my family.

When and on what basis do you plan on applying for Japanese citizenship? Do you currently have resident status in Japan?

Revenant: It's a reference to an old province called Bizen, which today is part of Okayama Prefecture. It was a center for sword smithing.
I live in Okayama, so the place is familiar. I haven't yet visited the Osafune sword museum though. The actual town of Bizen is more well known for it's pottery.

Back
Top Bottom