What's new

Chinese People In Japan?

Sakaki

後輩
28 Nov 2003
I'm Chinese and was wondering how are Chinese people treated in Japan? Any differently than caucassians? I plan to go visit Japan once I learn the language and save up some money.

Hello Sakaki, as far as im aware of is that chinese are just treated the same as any other foreign person in Japan. It would be different if you was korean

It depends how you look...Some chinese look like Japanese so it's not apparent they're foreigners until they try to speak.

Most Chinese are treated as Japanese unless you tell them you are not. Even when I and my friends spoke Mandarine/English, ppl in Tokyo thought we are speaking Japanese dialect.

Originally posted by nata_no
Most Chinese are treated as Japanese unless you tell them you are not. Even when I and my friends spoke Mandarine/English, ppl in Tokyo thought we are speaking Japanese dialect.

Lol that's funny. I think I could hear the difference between a Japanese dialect and other languages though, but you're right some asians look enough like a Japanese so they think you're not a foreigner, but if you can't speak Japanese very well then they will find out. ;)

I dunno about Chinese treatment in Japan.
But in London whenever i'm in a J-store, if i'm polite they are polite to me.
If i'm rude they just kinda look at me funny.
Normally they talk to me in Japanese and i just nod my head,smile and hand over cash even tho i dont really understand what they are saying. :D

no worries :)

i've been studying in Tokyo for one year as an exchange student from China, had full scholarship but couldn't speak a word of Japanese before arriving in Japan, was totally English-instructed there ... that was fabulous 😄

as for your question : personally, i think if u have money (which means you don't need to struggle part-time for minimum wage) and hopefully have some friends (then you won't be bothered too much by Japanese people's usual quietness and introvert), totally you'll enjoy the most out of Japan's convenient, courteous, safe and fun life as a foreigner, wherever you come from. being Chinese is perfectly okay (amazingly good service in Japan works well for Chinese too, and all foreigners are treated nice and welcome when spending money :) no worries! you can find everything there easy, both urban life and countryside secneries are fully ready to be enjoyed with easy access ... just get packed with all your imagination and expectation, you'll have loootsa fun for sure 👍

Back
Top Bottom