What's new

Child Abduction to Japan?

applepicker

後輩
31 Aug 2016
Japan hasn't signed the Hague Agreement so Japanese women abduct children to Japan and fathers don't see the child. Has anyone non Japanese abducted a child from their country to Japan? Would they also ne unable to be returned home legally?

Ok. I remember 7 years ago people going on about this. I see its changed. Thanks. I guess Japanese women cant get away with abducting their child from the foreign parent anymore or a foreign child with one parent working in Japan. Well done Japan.

Thinking of snatching your child from your domineering British baby momma and absconding to Japan with it, are you?

Ok. I remember 7 years ago people going on about this. I see its changed. Thanks. I guess Japanese women cant get away with abducting their child from the foreign parent anymore or a foreign child with one parent working in Japan. Well done Japan.

They signed it but that doesn't mean they will enforce it.

It is being enforced to an extent despite some problems. You can read about it for yourself here.
Three years after Japan signed Hague, parents who abduct still win | The Japan Times
Thanks for the link @Lothor. I read through the article but it really seems like a very minimal effort is made to follow through with enforcement. A lot of this seems to be because the enforcement has no legal ability to enforce and another part is modifications to the convention to basically allow it to not be enforced.
Its a very sad article to read. :(

I have little doubt that Japan's track record in these cases (pre and post Hague Convention) comes down to in-group defense of the Japanese parent. If one foreigner took a child to Japan against the wishes of the other foreign parent, the child's return would probably be swift and the success story added to the return statistics. The abducting foreigner would probably be deported and effectively delivered into the hands of authorities waiting to arrest the person at the destination airport.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom