What's new

Cheap Eats in Japan.

30 Nov 2003
Alrighty for everyone living in Japan do you think you could give me a run down of some cheap eats in your city? Thanks thinking of backpacking through japan.

You could try going to convenience stores like mini-stop or 7-11. They have a food section where you could buy food cheap. iirc 300 to 400 yen is the usual budget. For that amount you could get cold sushi, maki, rice balls or even mini-bento. They also have the usual like franks and dimsum. Those are even cheaper 150 to 250 yen.

Good luck!

I like to go to Yoshinoya. they are everywhere in japan and fairly cheap. 500 yen for a beef bowl. but as sloth said. the lawsons and 7-11 have cup o noodles and stuff like that for under 500. depending on your budget.

Yoshinoya, Matsuya, cheap ramen places, family restaurants, supermarkets when its getting late at night. Filling an apartment with furniture put a real crimp on the budget, so its cheap eatin for me.

Not quite suitable for backpacking but buying things in bulk when on special (say veggies, fruit, meats, whatever), making meals and freezing the excess really helps to save money. This weekend I'm making pizza and I'll probably cook two and save about 3 or 4 for later or parties etc.

Lately 100 yen stores have a lot of foodstuffs, too. Variety depends on the store, but a worthy place to look.

Contrary to the often accepted belief that "conbini" are cheap, I would suggest going to the local supermarket or "shoten gai" to find better deals on cheap foods. Many if not most supermarkets sell the same types of foods that the "conbini" have at cheaper prices.

Many smaller "shokudo" have good food for a resonable price.

If you get the chance ask a taxi driver(s) where they eat, usually they will have the low-down on decent cheap food.

Go where the "salary-men goes. Everyone knows Yoshinoya and Sakura, but if you want something a little better try some of the other chain restaurants: In the chain restaurants "Ootoya" you can get a reasonable meal with a little of everything for 650-700 Y. In the less known chain Suzume (one right in Center-gai in Shibuya) you can get a full luch for only 500 Y. Both great quality for the price!

Hachiro said:
Contrary to the often accepted belief that "conbini" are cheap, I would suggest going to the local supermarket or "shoten gai" to find better deals on cheap foods. Many if not most supermarkets sell the same types of foods that the "conbini" have at cheaper prices.

Not only that, but some supermarkets are willing to lower prices right around closing time, attempting to eliminate day-old inventory. Grab a full katsu bento for 150 yen!

Back
Top Bottom