What's new

Changing departure date - urgent advice needed

calley21

Registered
9 Dec 2015
Hi there,

I've been selected for a MEXT research student scholarship. I have applied for and been accepted for April departure. I will research for 1.5 years, then enroll in a masters that begins in October.

However, due to a health issue that has emerged since I applied (so I did not mention it on my application, because it wasn't an issue then), I would like to delay my departure until October in order to be in better health. I am still able to go in April, but would be much happier to go in October. But I am afraid to ask the embassy if this is possible, in case they disqualify me from the scholarship straight away.

Does anyone know if it's possible to request to change the departure date, if you'll still be able to make it on time for your entrance exams?

It's always possible to request anything. Just do it as soon as possible, and notify the school, too. You obviously have good reasons, and I'm sure you aren't the first person with this situation. Best of luck.

It's always possible to request anything. Just do it as soon as possible, and notify the school, too. You obviously have good reasons, and I'm sure you aren't the first person with this situation. Best of luck.
Thank you so much for your reply. I am just worried that they will immediately take away my scholarship if they hear that I want to delay. I'm just wondering if there is anyone who has done this before?

You have to admit it sounds odd. "If you're going to cancel my scholarship I'm healthy enough to go as scheduled, but if you're not I want to wait six months" is how they're going to hear it.

Contact whoever it is who has been handling your application so far. Ask if it is possible to move the start date, either to October or by deferring the entire year to next April. It might be easier for them, depending on how the scheme is set up, if you defer an entire year rather than arrive six months out of sync with others on the same program.

At this stage you don't need to specify why. They'll say one of three things: yes, no, or only under special mitigating circumstances. You only need to explain your health problems if it's the final one.

If it's a straight no you'll have to consider what impact your health issues will have on your ability to function without your usual support network around you. You may also need to check things like the availability and cost of any medication you'll need.

Contact whoever it is who has been handling your application so far. Ask if it is possible to move the start date, either to October or by deferring the entire year to next April. It might be easier for them, depending on how the scheme is set up, if you defer an entire year rather than arrive six months out of sync with others on the same program.

At this stage you don't need to specify why. They'll say one of three things: yes, no, or only under special mitigating circumstances. You only need to explain your health problems if it's the final one.

If it's a straight no you'll have to consider what impact your health issues will have on your ability to function without your usual support network around you. You may also need to check things like the availability and cost of any medication you'll need.

Thanks. This sounds like really solid advice. I really appreciate your help.

Back
Top Bottom