What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Certificate of Eligibility..

Ray89

後輩
Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to find work in Japan. I'm currently in the UK and just finished my A-Levels, and want to move there, however, I need to get a 'Certificate of Eligibility' from a sponsor in Japan, can anyone help me with this? Will I need to apply for a job first? Or can I travel to Japan and use my 6 month stay visa to apply for one? Thanks.

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to find work in Japan. I'm currently in the UK and just finished my A-Levels, and want to move there, however, I need to get a 'Certificate of Eligibility' from a sponsor in Japan, can anyone help me with this? Will I need to apply for a job first? Or can I travel to Japan and use my 6 month stay visa to apply for one? Thanks.

Are you attempting to come over on a Working Holiday visa?

Glenski

Just me
Reaction score
If you are looking for a work visa, you need to get hired first.
Your employer must agree to sponsor your work visa, and then you can start the visa application process (he gets the COE from immigration after you both send the proper paperwork in, and then he sends you the COE).

Working holiday visa does not require a sponsor (or degree).

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
If you are looking for a work visa, you need to get hired first.
Your employer must agree to sponsor your work visa, and then you can start the visa application process (he gets the COE from immigration after you both send the proper paperwork in, and then he sends you the COE).

All moot; look at his age.

Glenski

Just me
Reaction score
Perhaps, moot, yes, but he did ask about the process.

Are A-levels the equivalent of a bachelor's degree? I wouldn't know since I'm American.

Tim33

先輩
Reaction score
No A levels are lower than that, you get them at about 18.

mr.sumo.snr

Gavin Gives Italian Ducks
Reaction score
Wiki people please!
GCE Advanced Level (United Kingdom) - Wikipedia

and for Working Holiday Visa
Working holiday visa - Wikipedia

18 is fine for coming to Japan on a WHV. Might be fun for a year. Don't plan on staying longer - waste of your time without a degree or a wife.

In fact let me revise that. Do Europe, Canada or Australia for a year before college. Get your degree. Then try Japan for a year on the JET program. This place is much more fun with a monthly 1400 quid salary and that degree tucked in your back pocket means you can stay for as long as you can find work (yet to meet the person who failed to find a job while here!).

--

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
Yep. For all that foreigners post frantic inquiries about lodgings and jobs, I have never known a homeless or unemployed foreigner.

mr.sumo.snr

Gavin Gives Italian Ducks
Reaction score
I've know a few unemployable ones - yet the English-school gods smiled down upon them and introduced them to 40 hour weeks for 25 man/month minus rent and utilities and declared that it was a 'good thing' (or was that Martha Stewart?).

--

Top Bottom