What's new

Wanted Carpenter / skilled worker for apartment renovation project

kurohara

Registered
27 Jul 2015
I'm looking for a carpenter / skilled worker to help me in renovating my apartment. Most surfaces need to be redone (plaster / wallpaper), new floor finish with wood planks or ceramic tiles, kitchen cabinets need to be fixed, etc. I will also need help in choosing right materials and solutions. The apartment is in Kanagawa, approx 30 min from Shinjuku on Odakyu line. I don't have much renovation experience myself but want to help in actual works as much as I can. I am flexible with work dates and can pay on day-by-day basis. Fluent English or French is mandatory PLUS Japanese, as I myself don't speak Japanese fluently.

It's none of my business of course, but you might set yourself up for disaster this way. If the worker gets injured (which could happen during construction kind of jobs), do you know who will be responsible for medical bills, etc? I don't, but it would be wise that you do;)

Last time I was in Japan, I saw many "reform" advertisements. Why don't you first ask for some quotations? You can always do it the day labour way if the price is too high.

Yes the prices of Japanese renovation companies is way too high, they uses bloated lump sums that make no sense. I have time to work on the project myself so why not pay skilled labor to help me. Insurance is just a question of insuring, if uninsured. It's a good point you made though. If your worker gets injured on your site without insurance, you will take the bill.

By the time you find an adequately skilled carpenter (who is also going to be your contractor when you add in electric, plumbing, etc.), who is also "fluent" in EnglFr, AND willing to work on a day-to-day basis, you'll end up paying more than one of the supposedly bloated reform companies.

Back
Top Bottom