What's new

Careers in Japan

naibuzu

後輩
31 Jul 2007
Hello Everyone. My name is Rudy. I was wondering what are good careers for non nationals who want to reside in Japan and speak English, Japanese, & Spanish? I wanted to know simply because I have plans to move there after college. (I'm not currently enroll in any college yet.) I know one of them is being an English teacher, but I hear you don't need to know any Japanese in order to become one.

The best one is IT field! English teacher is bit risky according to latest news I've read. Even though there are soo many English schools etc. the Japanese do not speak the language here. As for Spanish, it is not so popular in Japan. So, the only option is you must be good at Japanese. Then you can find a good job.

As stated, IT & Investment Banking (the two are somewhat married to each other in many cases) make up the most foreign companies and foreign populated companies.

What is a non-national? A non-Japanese? A non-native English speaker?

Good careers. Depends on what you can do. Teaching English is not exactly a stellar career, although it makes a mediocre salary for some. But teaching English can be anything from part-time private lessons to tenured university professor to owning your own business.

Other careers? Whatever you can do that a Japanese can't. Just realize that most non-teaching jobs here will require a high level of Japanese and some experience.

For the vast majority of English teaching positions, teaching English is a "career" like flipping burgers at McDonald's is a "career" in the food service industry.

There are "chef" equivalent English teaching positions which one could call a "career" with not the slightest hint of sarcasm, but they are few in number and you'll need more than a bachelor's degree to get one.

Back
Top Bottom