What's new

Canada-based question : Best way to learn ?

Kintaro

人間と人形は同じ。
30 Jun 2003
I'm from Montreal, and I'm asking about this because I've always wanted to learn Japanese yet the resources I've always seen were either too gimmicky or too shadowy to attempt. And then there are private teachers, which are exactly that, since they are impossible to find. o_O

I'm not totally blind to Japanese, but the biggest obstacle to learning is not how much exposure you have to the language, but to living people that read write and speak it. I know this for a fact since I have learned french as a second language and it is clearly as good as my first, and no one can really tell unless they know my name. And even then...

Learning using anime, manga, and JWPce will not give you conversational skills, you can know 300 kanji and not be able to ask to go for a poop, simply because you have no practice with sentence structure or the instantaneous replies you have to process and reply back appropriately.

You can never become fully fluent unless you are fully immersed in the culture's language. And to become somewhat fluent, you need at least someone who has been in that culture.

Vicious circle, ne ?

Originally posted by Kintaro
Learning using anime, manga, and JWPce will not give you conversational skills, you can know 300 kanji
Over 1800, and counting :p

and not be able to ask to go for a poop
Don't think I'll need ask with _that_ nuance and phrasing very often.

simply because you have no practice with sentence structure or the instantaneous replies you have to process and reply back appropriately.
Online (text) chat and online (voice) chat.
Former, Apricotweb [Homepage for Japanese or English language learners] latter - make friends with Japanese who have broadband.

Back
Top Bottom