What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Can you help me find someone in Japan?!

dmigel

後輩
Reaction score
I am trying to find a childhood Japanese friend who spent a year or two in the US in the eighties. I don't know where in Japan he lives and the only thing I know is his name and age (+/- a couple years). I have tried to google him with no matches. There are no signs of him in myspace or facebook, but I understand that mixi is more popular in Japan. Unfortunatley, I can't access mixi. Does anyone know how to find someone in Japan?
Much appreciated.

Giostigma

先輩
Reaction score
I dont know if they would let you see the info but maybe a government building might have some info about your friend.

becki_kanou

Sumo Freak
Reaction score
Just a thought, but did you google your friend's name in Romaji or in Kanji? I doubt you'd find much of anyone (who isn't famous) googling in romaji.

epigene

相変わらず不束者です
Reaction score
To find someone in Japan, you need to know at the very least the person's name in kanji (in correct kanji, not just homonyms) and the city, town or village in the prefecture where he lives or used to live, in addition to age. With such information, you may be able to inquire the local city/town hall for information, although it is nearly impossible for big cities like Tokyo, Osaka and many others.

mixi is SNS like Facebook or MySpace, but people rarely register in their real names--using handlenames just like here. So I think it's highly unlikely, unless you know the name of the person's alma mater (high school or university department/major).

This thread has been moved to People Search.

Top Bottom