What's new

Can insurance / pension payments be reclaimed or transferred when you leave Japan?

Muzuhashi

後輩
9 Feb 2017
A friend of mine who is currently working in Japan plans to return to the UK soon, and wants to know if it's possible to reclaim - or have transferred to one's home country in some way - national insurance / health insurance / pension payments made while living here. Any advice gratefully received!

About the one lump sum payment. You have to go to the Pension Service dept and get the paper work. I think it is in both Japanese and English. You do not get the payment here in Japan. You go back to your home country, set up a bank account, fill out the Pension Service papers and then mail them back to Japan. You can expect about 3 to 4 months before you'll get a wire transfer of funds to your account. Ex. If you paid into the account for about 15 years, you might expect to get around \200000 or a bit more. But it worth the time and effort to go to the city and get the paper work. Not sure if they can give you exactly what you'll receive but if I 'm correct, a fairly close estimate.
I went through this process a few years ago, but I ended up staying in Japan. So the above comment should be fairly accurate and useful info for you. But just go to the Dept that handles this and you'll get what you need. Expect to be there for maybe over 45 minutes. Well, at least in a smaller city anyway.

A friend of mine who is currently working in Japan plans to return to the UK soon, and wants to know if it's possible to reclaim - or have transferred to one's home country in some way - national insurance / health insurance / pension payments made while living here. Any advice gratefully received!
On behalf my friend, thank you very much for taking the time out to reply - there's some useful information here which I may make use of myself if I move back to the UK one day!

Back
Top Bottom