What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Question Can I shift accent in 燃えてきたぞ to mOete kitAzo in lyrics?

LiXiQing

後輩
Reaction score
Can I shift accent in 燃えてきたぞ to mOete kitAzo in lyrics? Doesn't it sound too wierd?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
When the pitch accent is on the first mora, i.e., the type 1, もえる refers to 萌える, meaning "to sprout", not 燃える(= type 0/flat). Similarly, the type 2 /キタ]ゾ/ is 北ぞ (=classical だぞ), not 来たぞ. Thus, /モ]エテ キタ]ゾ/ could be interpreted 萌えて北ぞ as a stand alone sentence without any context.

It's possible to be interpreted 燃えてきたぞ from the context, of course, but it sounds extremely odd.

LiXiQing

後輩
Reaction score
When the pitch accent is on the first mora, i.e., the type 1, もえる refers to 萌える, meaning "to sprout", not 燃える(= type 0/flat). Similarly, the type 2 /キタ]ゾ/ is 北ぞ (=classical だぞ), not 来たぞ. Thus, /モ]エテ キタ]ゾ/ could be interpreted 萌えて北ぞ as a stand alone sentence without any context.

It's possible to be interpreted 燃えてきたぞ from the context, of course, but it sounds extremely odd.
I expected something like that. Where do I find information about pitching a specific word? It's not in any dictionary as far as I know.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Some dictionaries have pitch accent types, but it's not for all words, if my memory is correct.
You can see pitch accent types of common people's names, location names, adjectives, verbs, etc. in the following site.

Top Bottom