What's new

Can I resize my partition?

DoctorP

先輩
3 Jun 2004
Without losing data? I have one hard drive with a partition (C & D). The C drive holds my OS and on the D drive I keep my mp3's, photos, and docs. My problem is that I can not fit SP2 on my C drive...is there a way to resize the partition without loss of data?

I know nothing about partitioning, but you might give some thought to adding another drive. Drives are dirt cheap these days, and installing them is a breeze. Move all your important stuff over to the new drive, then there's no worries about losing it while resizing your partition....and you have room for lots more goodies.

Thanks for the answers:

Mike- I had already thought of buying another drive...we'll see!

Twisted...thanks I'll see what I can find out!

I personally wouldnt use this,keeping a partition a certain size,then resizing it can be a difficult task for those who know little about this topic.YOU CAN LOSS DATA BY RESIZING.If you are going to do so,ensure you have a large amount of free space.Rest assured,doing this can CORUPT your drive.Tell then adieu

BrennaCeDria said:
I'm currently at 200gigs hard drive because buying new hardware is easier than partitions. :p

In this computer, I have two 120gig drives, one 160gig, and one 200gig. On my other computer (networked to this one) There is a single 120gig, a 10gig salvaged from an old computer, and a 120gig USB external.

And I am still hurting for drive space.

mikecash said:
In this computer, I have two 120gig drives, one 160gig, and one 200gig. On my other computer (networked to this one) There is a single 120gig, a 10gig salvaged from an old computer, and a 120gig USB external.

w00t, that's a lot of gigs...maybe thought about putting it on DVD?? can save space too !

I didn't mention the stuff on DVD-R because I have no idea offhand what the total is.

ENJOY that and Hitachi has a 500GB drive coming out soon.Of course i dont mind any private messages concerning computer related trouble.Tell then adieu

P.S. keep in mind what i said about lossing data.

Last edited:
mikecash said:

I have one 40gig drive and one 20gig drive, and I'm not really hurting for space.

I diagnose 'Packrat tendencies' 😊

Stuff* goes on my computer, gets used, and is then deleted.

* OK that was purposely vague - but let's just say that 'stuff' tends to come in 200 to 300MB packages.

PaulTB said:
I diagnose 'Packrat tendencies' 😊

You diagnose correctly, Dr. Paul. The 200gig drive, for example, is dedicated entirely to Old Time Radio shows, of which I have over 23,000 episodes.

mikecash said:
You diagnose correctly, Dr. Paul. The 200gig drive, for example, is dedicated entirely to Old Time Radio shows, of which I have over 23,000 episodes.
I can understand the impulse - at one point I had two or three thousand sci-fi / fantasy books. However nowadays I figure if I haven't had time to watch the three dozen or so programmes I've got waiting for me then when am I going to find the time to watch the few hundred ones I've watched once again?

My boss is the worst for keeping stuff though - he had archived newspaper clippings of bridge problems from 1980 which I don't think he'd once taken out to look at again. 😌

When it comes to video files, I'm precisely the same way. With audio files, I actually do make extensive use of them at work. I'm systematically working my way through the radio programs. It's going to take me a few years to do it, but that's alright.

I'm Hooked On......

avatars for the Forum. Can't seem to stop myself from collecting. I use a 120 GB "C" drive 120GB "D" drive and a 120GB external drive. They all seem to crawl when I load them up with pics. Being a compulsive pack rat does complicate lifes space.

Frank

😊

Why do you partition like that? It's just stupid. Keep all your data in one partition and leave it like that! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom