What's new

Can I get a job driving a truck or stocking shelves in Japan?

stuckinchina

後輩
8 Jan 2013
I don't have a degree currently and the visa policies in China are crazy now, so I can't stay here in China. I have a good life here in China and I don't want to leave, but it seems that I might have to in the near future. I am just wondering if entry level jobs like this are possible? My Japanese at a basic level, but I am willing to study hard everyday. I would appreciate any help with this.

Why do you consider driving a truck an "entry-level" job?

Isn't it in some cases? I know a truck driver in the US who got his job without past experience. I guess it isn't the same in Japan?

You're not going to be eligible for a visa to do it in the first place and it requires more than just a basic grasp of the language in the second place. It is true a ***** could do the job, but the ***** does have to be able to operate independently and handle situations in Japanese, and be able to read Japanese as well.

But the biggest problem you face is the visa situation. Basically you have to get sponsored by an employer who needs you to come fill a slot doing something they can't hire a Japanese person to fill. That doesn't include truck driving, or most other jobs either.

I was just curious. I am much more interested in China and SE Asia anyway. I already found a high-paying job working for a headhunting company anyway. Japan is pretty lame anyway. Most of the people are so anti-foreigner.

Who's so anti-foreigner? Where did you get that (incorrect) perception?

I agree with Mike that you need to satisfy a visa requirement first. Look here for truck drivers under the Skilled Labor work visa regulations:
Documents you need to provide:
Table.3 Supporting Documents

More info (from the bottom link of this page: Application for Certificate of Eligibility
The applicant must fall under any of the following categories and must receive no less remuneration than would a Japanese national for comparable work.

(i) A person who is to engage in the duties of preparing cuisine or producing foodstuffs that require skills which were devised overseas and that are foreign to Japan, and who falls under any of the following categories (except a foreign national as listed in item (ix)).

(a) A person with at least 10 years' experience using such skills (including the period of time spent studying at an educational institution in a foreign country while majoring in subjects related to the relevant preparation of cuisine or production of foodstuffs)

(b) A person to whom the provisions of Annex 7, Part 1, A, Section 5, subparagraph 1 (c) of the Agreement between Japan and the Kingdom of Thailand for Economic Partnership applies.

(ii) A person with at least 10 years' experience using skills related to architecture or civil engineering characteristic of a foreign country (including the period of time spent studying at an educational institution in a foreign country while majoring in subjects related to said architecture or civil engineering) who is to engage in duties that require such skills. (If said person is to engage in duties under the guidance of a foreign national who has at least 10 years' experience, 5 years of experience will suffice.)

(iii) A person with at least 10 years' experience using skills related to the manufacture or repair of products characteristic of a foreign country (including the period of time spent studying at an educational institution in a foreign country while majoring in subjects related to the manufacture or repair of such products) who is to engage in duties that require such skills.

(iv) A person with at least 10 years' experience using skills related to the processing of gems, precious stones, or fur (including the period of time spent studying at an educational institution in a foreign country while majoring in subjects related to said processing) who is to engage in services that require such skills.

(v) A person with at least 10 years' experience using skills related to animal training (including the period of time spent studying at an educational institution in a foreign country while majoring in subjects related to animal training) who is to engage in services that require such skills.

(vi) A person with at least 10 years' experience using skills related to offshore drilling for oil exploration, drilling for geothermal development, or marine geological surveys for marine mineral exploration (including the period of time spent studying at an educational institution in a foreign country while majoring in subjects related to offshore drilling for oil exploration, drilling for geothermal development, or marine geological surveys for marine mineral exploration) who is to engage in services that require such skills.

(vii) A person with at least 1,000 hours' flight experience using skills related to piloting an aircraft, who is to engage in duties as a pilot of an aircraft used for air transport as prescribed in Article 2, paragraph (18) of the Civil Aeronautics Act (Act No. 231 of 1952).

(viii) A person with at least 3 years' experience using skills related to coaching a sport (including the period of time spent studying at an educational institution in a foreign country while majoring in subjects related to coaching said sport, and the period of time spent engaging in said sport for remuneration) who is to engage in duties that require such skills, or a person who has participated as a competitor in an international sporting event such as the Olympics or the World Championships and who is to engage in duties that require skills related to coaching said sport.

(ix) A person with at least 5 years' experience using skills related to the appraisal, evaluation, and maintenance of a wine's quality, and to the supplying of wine (hereinafter referred to as "wine appraisal") (including the period of time spent studying at an educational institution in a foreign country while majoring in subjects related to wine appraisal) who falls under any of the following categories and who is to engage in services that require such skills.

(a) A person who has achieved excellent results in a wine appraisal skill competition held on an international scale (hereinafter referred to as "international sommelier competition").

(b) A person who has entered an international sommelier competition (limited to those that restrict the number of competitors to one per country).

(c) A person who has been certified by a national or local government (including a foreign government), or by a public or private organization, as being qualified in skills related to wine appraisal that have been designated in a public notice by the Minister of Justice.

Back
Top Bottom