What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Can I find work in Japan?

baskerville

先輩
Reaction score
Hello! I've been thinking of looking for a job as an English teacher in Japan. Below is a summary of my experience/qualification:

Native language: English, Filipino
Foreign languages: Japanese (JLPT N2), French (basic) - I have experience teaching Japanese to adults
Degree: Economics
Work experience: I have worked in human resources consultancy, government and have also worked in an investment bank. I also teach Japanese part time.

So my question is: given the above, do you think I stand a chance of getting a job as a teacher? Aside from getting TESOL certified, is there anything else I can do to increase my chances of landing a job? Hope for your advise on this.Thank you so much!

anpan

先輩
Reaction score
result of job search

I have searched on behalf of you.
teaching job at school.
quote.
Teaching an average of 2 schools per day, morning and afternoon, in a friendly working environment at daycares and after-school-recreation centers for elementary school children, managed and run by our group company Nihon Hoiku Service.
Required qualifications
Native English speakers who currently reside in Japan, with a valid working visa (sponsorship for renewing is available after hiring).
Conversational level speaking Japanese is a plus, and experience teaching children will be welcomed.
Work location
Facilities in the Kanto region run by Nihon Hoiku Service, and the Tokyo office in Takadanobaba.
Salary
230,000 yen per month for the first 2 months trial period, followed by a raise to 250,000 yen per month.
(Negotiable based on performance and experience.)

unquote

Hello! I've been thinking of looking for a job as an English teacher in Japan. Below is a summary of my experience/qualification:
Native language: English, Filipino
Foreign languages: Japanese (JLPT N2), French (basic) - I have experience teaching Japanese to adults
Degree: Economics
Work experience: I have worked in human resources consultancy, government and have also worked in an investment bank. I also teach Japanese part time.
So my question is: given the above, do you think I stand a chance of getting a job as a teacher? Aside from getting TESOL certified, is there anything else I can do to increase my chances of landing a job? Hope for your advise on this.Thank you so much!

Glenski

Just me
Reaction score
baskerville,
You are as qualified as anyone for the entry level jobs of ALT or eikaiwa instructor. Give them a shot.

Expect some discrimination because of your nationality. Can't be helped.
Don't expect too many employers to advertise for interviews on Skype, because that's what you're going to need unless you come here to do the interviews.
Don't cold call.
Contact at a good time of year.

bandu

後輩
Reaction score
The more you compromise regarding the teaching location (smaller city), the easier to find the job.

Top Bottom