What's new

Can I bring my wife to Japan?

pepi

後輩
19 Mar 2009
Hello..my name is pepi, i'm an indonesian..nice to meet you all
i have some questions relate to my life in the next few months..

me n my wife had planned to stay in japan,and first we already knew that it is best to enter one of nihongo gakko for about 1-2 years, and then we'd like to enter senmon gakkou after. But the truth is,our currency is rather bit behind Yen right now..and I can tell that only me or my wife can enroll nihongo gakko one at a time, because of our lack of money..

the question is:
Can I go to Japan with my wife, and stay for more than 6 months, in case my wife doesn't have any student visa..in short, she just come to japan as my wife??

please help me..because i already running late for the application term
Thanks

Please do not post the same in various parts of the forum. All identical posts will be deleted.

If you are in such a hurry, the best bet is to call your local Japanese Embassy, where you will get the most accurate information.

Last edited:
If you or your wife can get a student visa, the other one can come with a dependent visa. Happens all the time.

If you or your wife can get a student visa, the other one can come with a dependent visa. Happens all the time.
Is it the same for a senmon gakkou (Japanese language school) visa, I wonder?

His is not a real "student" visa (for entering four-year colleges). I think that senmon gakkou visa is a separate category? :?

Yes, there are 2 categories of student visa -- pre-college and college.
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/04.html

Visa is a visa. They are both real.

It's permission to be here. Now, the MOFA site says that you can apply if you have the College Student visa. It makes no mention of allowing someone with Pre-college student visa status.

... the spouse or unmarried minor child of those who stay in Japan with a status of residence mentioned in Table (a) (excluding Diplomat and Official) or with a Cultural Activities or College Student status of residence.

I'd inquire with immigration, since it is a little strange to be married and be in high school. See if your circumstances let you apply for the dependent visa. You might remind them that the government has just announced it wants to combine the 2 student visas into one in the near future. It would eliminate some paperwork for them, and it would automatically let your situation happen.

1st,thank you guys..

actually i'm not a highschool student, me n my wife had graduated from university..sorry, forgot to mentioned it before..i'm 27 n work as university teacher, my wife is 23 n just graduated from university last year..tell you the truth, there are other options if i want to live in japan, which I take the scholarship programs for teacher for 1 up to 2 years, n then my wife can come with me to japan as dependent visa..but, the thing is we want to continue our life in japan n to make that thing that come real, i want to fulfill my hope becoming fashion designer n my wife want to fulfill her becoming musician, which both we want to make that real in japan and we are really in love with japan, cause we both studied japanese at university, more or less we know the situation in japan...we know that we both are kinda late to make us dream come true...but while we still can, why not? we think..
so, back to my question..which i think i already knew the answer (from glenski n the internet)..can i bring my wife to japan? the answer is NO if my visa is pre-college student for nihongo gakko, which i need first before entering one of senmon gakko..i don't have jlpt level2..that's why we, one more time, study japanese, only this time in japan..well, if someone has better opinion, please let me know..
thank you guys..

Option 1. Do what you stated above, which means waiting for your wife to join you.

Option 2. BOTH of you get the proper visas to study here. No reason why not.

Option 3. One of you gets a cultural activities visa.

Back
Top Bottom