What's new

Can anyone recommend....

pk_81

先輩
31 Jul 2004
I'm not big on reading history books that are just straight to the point facts. I like learning about history through stories (ie. Memoirs of a Geisha).
Does anyone know of any books similar to my said interest that they could recommend?

I just realized, I probably should have posted this in the Literature forum. my apologies.

I've been reading "Musashi" by Eiji Yoshikawa. (translation by: Charles S. Terry) It is a very thick book, but very hard to put down. It is a novel about one of Japan's most famous swordsmen Miyamoto Musashi. If you are at all interested in Samurai, you will probably like this book.

Maybe Kazuo ishiguro's When We Were Orphans. Set in the 1930s in England, Japan and China. Great (his-)story, great book. :)

Taiko by Eiji Yoshikawa is very good and very thick. Its about Hideyoshi Toyotomi, a man from rags to being shogun of Japan.

You might try reading Genji Monogatari. It's really long, but i've heard its really good. Besides, it's kind of a classic. It's by Murasaki Shikibu. (translated it might be The Tale of Genji)

genji monogatari is nice cuz it gives a pretty good glimpse into court life in heian period japan, though parts of it are a little dreamy. that's ok though.

My tip...

Well, probably you like to read one of the following books:
Nagatsuka Takeshi: Tsuchi (Trans. Soil / Earth)
<<< Meiji, easy country people, may be read as social history or ethnography
Kafテサ Nagai: Bokutテエ Kitan (Trans. A Strange Tale from East of the River)
<<< Geisha, modernisation, literature, love
Shimazaki Tテエson: Hakai (Trans. Broken Commandment)
<<< Eta

Have fun!

I read Miyamoto Musashi, too. Excellent book but not so thick.. well, let me see.. if I remember well, it's at least 800 pages of A5 paper format.
That's a Japanese-Serbian translation by Dragan Milenkovic and I've heard lately that this translation is shorter than the original.

Furinkazan by Yasushi Inoue. I read it in Polish, but I suppose there could be an English translation. It's about Yamamoto Kansuke (sengoku jidai/Takeda Shingen)

for some historical fiction you might like Akira Yoshimura. i've read both Shipwrecks, and One man's justice. found them to be very readible

Back
Top Bottom