What's new

Calligraphy query

ms.izzy

Registered
11 May 2019
I am hoping I am in the right place for this as it is a long shot in the dark, but I am looking for the characters from a work of Enso Calligraphy made by Enji Torei titled "The image presents itself, nothing more". I am not familiar enough with either the kanji or the calligraphy to make it out, but I would like to have the characters in type form for a project. Can anyone here make it out? Or know where I can find it?

Enjoy the image as it is quite stunning! Thanks all!

I can't get one the first, main character is, and the rest are nearly as elusive, although I think the first three on the second line are 定無化. But searching around for that phrase linked with Torei Enji/Enzi turns up nothing. All I can find are other links to this same image where the supposed English translation has been repeated. I say "supposed", but I have no reason to believe the English is wrong, but it bothers me that I can't find any Japanese commentary or interpretation. The image has been exhibited in Japan, and published in a few publications, but none mention what the written script is. Frustrating.

Bravo! That is very dapper that you did so much research on it! The English was translated by someone names Stephen Addis according to another blog, but I am finding it hard to believe that someone somewhere hasn't already put the characters into written form. Thank you so much for your help and effort! 💐

The folks at the Institute for Zen Studies (禅文化研究所) in Kyoto were kind enough to provide me with a readout of the characters from the work, and a description of the meaning. They had published an image of this work back in 1970, in their 禅文化 periodical.

The writing at the top is as follows:

「覿面相呈更無他事」

Additionally, they identified the characters at the lower left (the black ink kaō) as 「東嶺」

The kundoku of the text is: 「覿面に相呈す、更に他事無し」

They indicated that the meaning of the expression is along the following lines:

「それは面と向かって提示されており、それ以外のことは何もない」

Edit:

The Institute also explained to me that nearly identical text (覿面相呈更無餘事) can be found in several texts from China which pertain to Chan (Zen) Buddhism, including the『景徳傳燈録』(The Jingde Record of the Transmission of the Lamp - Wikipedia).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom