What's new

Buying clothes in Japan

miu

先輩
2 Dec 2004
Just curious:

Have you ever had problems with buying clothes in Japan? Do normally built Western people have trouble finding clothes? And more specifically, are there any clothes in size 36 (European women's size; not Italian, though)? 😊
Japanese women seem to eb really slender compared to most Western women, so you'd assume that finding jeans for example might be a bit difficult.

And if you happen to be really tall/whatever, can you find clothes that fit?

My only problem has been shoes! I wear a 29.0 and most of the places only carry up to a 28.0!

Yes, is there an online size convertor somewhere to size the differences. I'm in Canada and I too waer a 10.5-11 which is different from the US size as well. I would like to buy some zori sandals.

You don't need an online size convertor, shoe sizes in Japan are equal to the shoes' length in centimeters. Measure your foot's length in centimeters and you know the Japanese size. And converting between centimeters and inch shouldn't be a big deal, eh?

where can you find a online size convertor???..

Anyways, I have a lot of my girlfriends that live in Japan, they have no problem with clothing or with shoes. I guess it matters on the person, like a pair of pants might.. ( I am not sure I would have to ask) be a bid hitched.

But I was watching and sorry if this is off topic.. top model and there currently in Japan, and you know how tall those girls are.. ( they shop a lot in that show) but anyways it didn't seem they had problems with the pants.

I guess you just gotta ask around and try places out to see what fits.

I know this didn't help much but
I hope it did at least a little.

I wear 13. I bought two pairs of shoes in Japan in 7 years. 1 pair I had to have for a new job, so just wore bandaids until they broke into my size. (ouch). The other pair were tennis shoes. I walked into a rather large shoe store and said "bring me all lback tennis shoes you have in 31cm or above". They brought 3 pair, of which I bought one.

I think the original question was with regard to clothing size, not shoe size. ☝
For me, it's a little difficult finding clothes that fit, as I'm a size 12 Canadian( i think). But I went to Aeon a couple days ago, and bought a couple shirts, and they fit fine. Both size large, but i warn you, it's a bit difficult to find size larges here. Most are S or M.
With shoes, if you're a girl, you should have no problem. I'd heard horrow stories about shoe shopping before coming here, but my shoe size ( 25cm, size 7 or 8 North american) is the same or just a little bit bigger than some of my friends. I had no problem buying new shoes. 👍

>>With shoes, if you're a girl, you should have no problem

Only i f you have small-average size feet. *G* In Taiwan or Japan, the only shoes I can buy are men's American-brand athletic shoes, and even then they were hard to find. If you wear a 9 or over, or a wide, in American women's shoes, you're going to be so out of luck. (I wear an 11 women's, which I believe is a 43 European.)

As for clothes, my friend is slender by American standards and has an average bust, and she had trouble finding blouses that would button over her chest.

I know of an American woman who is, well you could say "quite oversized", so she went to Korea to buy clothes in her size. Don't ask me how that worked out...
Sizes are usually smaller than in Europe, you can't rely on S/M/L, won't be the same. If you don't fit the average Japanese stature either in the vertical or in the horizontal direction, then it might get difficult... People of smaller stature shouldn't experience any problems.

if you're not of a small size in your home country then unfortunately you'll have problems. I know many foreign women in Japan and only two of us can actually shop here with no problems. There are a few shops like Uniqlo that stock bigger sizes.
Personally I find pants a bit of a problem. Japanese girls have no hips and bum!!

My advice would be to stock up before you come, just in case.

give me females with well defined figures or give me death!
Japanese20Girl2-1.jpg

I'm just kidding.. I like all da females... except the really... round ones.

I just can't... I can't.... do that!

Want to hear something funny? Until I was 28 I always had problems finding comfortable clothes, being a fat bastard 'desu kara'. So why, for the last ten years, have I been able to find cheap, large-size, good quality clothes - because I moved to Japan in 1995!

I must add that as far as I can remember the only items of clothing I have ever bought in Japan are a few handkerchiefs, a black tie for a funeral, and a couple of baseball caps. Everything else has been courtesy of Mssrs. LLBEAN and EDDIE BAUER, assisted for formal wear by Mr Kauffman.

I could even perhaps claim that I live in Japan BECAUSE I found it very difficult to find good, large-size clothes in the UK. When I used to work in London as a human resources officer my boss never liked me much - which I partly put down to her thinking I was always a bit scruffy in my badly fitting suits and shirts that I always had to undo the top button on lest I choke to death before ten o'clock every morning! She failed to renew my contract - I moved to Japan. Stranger things have happened at sea.

Url links - they all ship to Japan no probs.

L.L.Bean - The Outside Is Inside Everything We Make
For over 100 years, Eddie Bauer has made apparel, footwear, and gear to inspire and enable you to Live Your Adventure®
Lands' End: Swimwear, Polo Shirts, Comfy Tops, Jeans, Maxi Dresses
REI Co-op: Outdoor Clothing, Gear, and Footwear from Top Brands | REI Co-op

hehe.. i find it funny how my fat chick was removed but not the hottie...

they were about the same amount of undressed...

the sleeves ..

I find a problem with the sleeves , they are always short !!

Trousers too , very , slimingly shapeless ... :eek:

Back
Top Bottom