What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Business Japanese

Kawaisou

後輩
Reaction score
Hello guys, I have some questions regarding Business Japanese. You see I have lived in Japan for almost three years now and speak some pretty good Japanese. I am not fluent by any means, but I can have day to day conversations with locals or my friends no problem.

However I am getting ready to go to college in Tokyo (TUJ) and need to find work offbase. The visa status is not an issue because I am a SOFA, but finding a place to work, now that is a different story. Luckily for me, TGIF hires foriegners but Japanese is needed. Where as I caqn understand Japanese very well, and I can speak pretty good, my polite business Japanese is at a serious low level.

I know the easy "irashaimase" and "kashikokarimashita" but if I am to work at TGIF either in the kitchen or as a waiter I need to know more. But I am not sure what to learn?

Can anybody give me some tips on things to study, useful words, vocab anything?

Any help is very much appreciated!

Thanks guys =) 😌

Ashikaga

もちもちした食感
Reaction score
TGIF... that's a restaurant chain, yes? Most major restaurant chains (or any store chains for that matter) have manuals for servers. These manuals very specifically tells you what to say in any given situations. It is like you are memorizing your lines from a script for a play. These places hire many young part time servers who have no experience, so I am pretty sure they will be willing to train you as long as you have the basics down.

Good luck!

Pachipro

JREF Resident Alien
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
Why don't you teach English while a student? The pay is better and the hours shorter. I did it and it worked out fine, but we are talking ancient history here. Good luck to you for at least trying

Kawaisou

後輩
Reaction score
I would love to teach english, 30 bucks an hour? hell yeah. The only problem is I am discriminated against for my age (18) and even though I speak fairly good Japanese which I think is a good sell point (making teaching easier), the Japanese honestly don't care and in this area people with degree's and older gaijin sweep up the English teaching jobs like wild fire.

It is actually not such an easy field for me to get into, as a college kid at least. So that is why I picked TGIF, because it is an American chain and hires foriegners as such.

Top Bottom