What's new

Bringing of Photocopied Nihongo textbooks to Japan

Prime

Registered
24 Feb 2015
Good Day fellow Jref members.

I will move to Japan in a few months so I was wondering if there is a probability that I will encounter trouble during baggage checking in case that I bring some of my Photocopied Nihongo textbooks? My purpose of bringing these books is for self-study only.

Thanks in advance!

Why would you figure they are contraband? They're not.

Thanks for the reply Glensky.
I have heard that pirated materials tend to be confiscated during inspection at Narita.
So I guess you mean to say that my textbooks will probably be safe to bring with me.
Is my understanding correct?
Sorry for the follow-up question.

You had money for a plane ticket and a trip to Japan, but not to pay for your textbooks instead of stealing them?

The things that get confiscated are more like fake designer goods (Rolex, Luis Vuitton, etc).

Bringing xeroxes in through customs should be no problem at all.

My uni has a JSL program for Chinese students. A certain proportion of the faculty teaching Japanese are also from China, the rest are regular faculty (local).

Over their two years, I don't think students buy any JSL textbooks at all. All the materials they use come out of the copy machine.

Bringing xeroxes in through customs should be no problem at all.

My uni has a JSL program for Chinese students. A certain proportion of the faculty teaching Japanese are also from China, the rest are regular faculty (local).

Over their two years, I don't think students buy any JSL textbooks at all. All the materials they use come out of the copy machine.

Thanks for the input.
Actually that is also my case, being that my language school provided me with photocopied textbooks.
I would love to buy the original copy but sadly they are not available in my country unless I order online and have it shipped.

You had money for a plane ticket and a trip to Japan, but not to pay for your textbooks instead of stealing them?

The things that get confiscated are more like fake designer goods (Rolex, Luis Vuitton, etc).

Thank you for the input.
I know I sounded stingy with my question but my school provided me with these textbooks.
As for my plane ticket, it is company sponsored so I did not pay for it.

Thanks for the reply Glensky
Looks like you got the answer you needed. Now if your copy machine would only not put a Y where there should be the letter I in my name. ;)

Back
Top Bottom