What's new

Boxers to become police officers

craftsman

24 Sep 2006
Cops look to boxers to fill their ranks

The Japan Boxing Commission is holding a job seminar Feb. 15 in Tokyo to help retired boxers become police officers.

Organizers hope it will be a match made in heaven: The Metropolitan Police Department wants physically fit and mentally tough personnel, while the JBC hopes to help boxers get jobs when they hang up their gloves.

"Due to age concerns, there have been limited job choices for boxers after they quit boxing," a JBC official said. "Retired boxers will be good police officers because they've built mental and physical strength through boxing."

Police plan to hire 80 people through the initiative.
Source: The Japan Times

Is it just me or is this a strange target group for the police to recruit from? Given recurring allegations of yakuza connections and rigged fights of boxing matches.

Frank, yes - you'd need less recruits as each one would be worth at least 3 police officers.

Incidently, the Boston Police have been using boxers for years.

When I was going to work this morning with the bus, I had a glimp inside the Koban near my house. To my surprise I saw a cop, sleeping with his head on the table. Does this makes me feel save? Do ex-boxers make me feel save ?

If Japan was the Netherlands, then a lot of things should change inside the police... Good thing is that, this is Japan and it is (still) pretty save.

I have one student who will be graduating next month who has passed the exam and will become a member of the police force from April. Both he and I have joked, "If you're gonna become a police officer, woe to Japan!"

But, actually, he may do a good job. He had wanted to train in Europe as a classical pianist.

I know what you mean Dutch Baka san. At the same time we have those like the guy who gave his life trying to save he woman from the on-coming train. She had been trying to kill herself. (That fact may have some different philosophical lines of thought, but...)

Back
Top Bottom