What's new

books in japanese my mom would be interested in....

TriciaM

後輩
10 Aug 2004
Hello....can someone tell me what books/titles that an older Japanese woman would be interested in? My mom is 73, and I've looked for books for her but can't seem to make out which ones are the ones that she would be interested in. She hasn't been to Japan since the 1960s...so maybe something about modern Japan? Thanks for any recommendations!!!!!! Also, I don't speak or read Japanese.

Are you looking for a book in Japanese? It's not exactly a marathon read, but I'd recommend 五体不満足 (Gotai Fumanzoku) by 乙武洋匡 (Ototake, Hirotada). The English name is "No One's Perfect."

Also good is the book that was the basis for the movie "Shining Boy and Little Randy." I'm not sure if the name of the book is the same, but in Japanese the movie is called 星になった少年 (Hoshi ni natta shounen)

In the end you'd know your mom's preferences better than we. These books are touching but I don't know whether that's what your mother likes or not.

thanks for the advice. i know she misses her culture, etc...so anything would probably do. do you know of anything written in Japanese, about modern Japan? Maybe with pictures, haha!!! And also, do you know of a reputable website to obtain Japanese books? thanks for the help!! I also just realized that I asked about modern japan in my first post....sorry for the repeat!!!!

Last edited:
There are many well written modern time novels 1910-present.We have a few regular female Japanese forumers come on daily basis,they can provide better sources.

Kura ( Taisho Period-a Sake maker family ordeal with only girl child destined to be blind in adulthood )

Nyokei Kazoku/Matriarchal Family ( Modern-3 sisters fight over family fortune with their father's mistress )

Kurakawa No Techou/The Black Leather Notebook * written by Seicho Matsumoto ( Modern-suspense with main female character embezzles bank client secret accounts,later leads to her intriguing life )

Yubi * written by Seicho Matsumoto ( Modern-suspense with main female character as actress with shady past )

Koto/The Old Capital *written by Yasunari Kawabata 1962 ( Adopted twin sisters met later in life )

I've seen well-scripted Japanese TV dramas based on these excellent novels.

Last edited:
A book that's hugely popular right now is Kokka no hinkaku (ツ坂?倪?ーテ??堙娯?「iナ?i) by Masahiko Fujiwara (窶慊。ナ陳エツ青ウ窶「F) about a return to old Japanese values. I haven't read it yet, but I intend to soon.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the great info. I will look that one up, JimmySeal. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom