What's new

History Books for studying Japanese history

Zuba

Sempai
16 Aug 2016
Hello, all.

I have desired to delve into the history of Japan, however I am at a loss for where to start and what book to purchase. I want to purchase a book via Google books, but there are so many books that I am unsure which to purchase. Websites are good as well, but I prefer a book via Google books so I can read it anywhere and not consume my data. Any recommendations would be greatly helpful.

よろしくお願いします。

A lot of good reading in that list. Highly recommend John Dower's book, "Embracing Defeat", which was mentioned several times in that list. It covers post-war history.

There's a great one from Great Courses called "Understanding Japan: A Cultural History". Audio only. I got it on Audible.

Great for a broad look at Japanese history from the very beginning up until now. The professor (it's a recording of lectures) does a great job of explaining how everything relates to & affects modern life/culture in Japan.

John Dower's Embracing Defeat is one of my favorite history books on Japan regarding postwar history. It really depends on what period you are interested in.

The clued-up will automatically include Ainu history, which presence goes back 7,000 years, which automatically link to linguistic correspondence twixt Basque and Ainu. When the Sea of Japan was shallow enough, it indeed looked as if people were walking on the water. Therefore, suggested is Kistemaker et al's The Chinese Sky During the Han, and the B.C. star-charts in the back of the book depicting in the constellation Lupus, the asterism Jizu 'a group of soldiers.' A history of Japan will include the island of Hokkaido, that is to say, Yezo.

Back
Top Bottom