What's new

Book on similar japanese words

beluga

先輩
10 Nov 2003
Hi,

Just wondering whether anyone of you guys know any good reference book or dictionary with both Japanese and English in which can effectively explain those similar japanese words but has different usages or other subtle differences. I have always being bugged by too many similar japanese vocab to use but no idea which is the best one to use. Example,
当然 and 当たり前
納得 and 満足
辺 and 辺り
This is just to name a few.

It would be best if they have one that is similar to Reader Digest's classic book, Word Power(I really remember the title of that book)

Anyone any idea? Thanks

I am actually more confused with many 言葉 that share the same Kanji but has completely different meaning due to their endings.
例えば:

止む 「やむ」 to cease
止す 「よす」 to cease, to abolish, to resign, to give up
止める 「やめる」 (vt) to end, to stop, to cease, to resign
止まる 「とまる」 to come to a halt
止める 「とめる」 to stop (something)

ax

Those may fall into the same category as the ones that beluga is having problems with. It certainly seems that they would, but I'm not sure.

antonxie said:
I am actually more confused with many 言葉 that share the same Kanji but has completely different meaning due to their endings.
例えば:

止む 「やむ」 to cease
止す 「よす」 to cease, to abolish, to resign, to give up
止める 「やめる」 (vt) to end, to stop, to cease, to resign
止まる 「とまる」 to come to a halt
止める 「とめる」 to stop (something)

ax
yes, but in some cases, they are transitive and intransitive verb.... this aspect, I'm fine... Just need to know which is tadoushi which is jidoushi.

I just checked out Singapore's Kinokuniya online search. They don't seem to be selling that Kodansha book recommended by Glenn :emoji_face_palm:

納得 and 満足

This might be a simple selection error -- these two don't seem to have that much overlap, even less in italics :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:, although I'm sure we all struggle with this same problem of word selection all the time. Unfortunately most Japanese people are content with the mindset that to the extent they're 'virtually the same' the difference must not be worth explaining. Hard to believe a book there's even a book on the subject. :emoji_fearful:

Glenn said:
Can't you get it through amazon? Or do they not ship to Singapore? :?
Yea, that's the next best option. But due to the hot Christmas season, it will take at least 2 to 3 weeks. Anyway, I'm not really in a hurry either. It's just that I usually can get those Japanese books here in Singapore, but in this particular case, I was unable to.

To Elizabeth,

Yes, after checking with my jap colleague, 納得 and 満足 seems to have no similarities. I initially thought they both means "satisfied" after I searching through my EDICT. So, apparently, 納得 means understand. So in this case, what's the difference between 分かる and 納得? :?

beluga said:
So, apparently, 納得 means understand. So in this case, what's the difference between 分かる and 納得? :?

納得 carries the meaning of consent or agreement, as well as understanding. So you would say, 納得できない, meaning "I can't agree to this" or "I can't accept this." If you just want to say "understand" then use 分かる.

A much more natural comparison would be between 理解 and 分かる, both of which
express understanding or comprehension, but in the case of "rikai" there
can be an added layer of not knowing where the person is coming from or why they are saying whatever they are. (理解できますが、あなたが言いたい事と違う意味の?)
It's also a lot more formal, as in the explanation....

一般的に「意味がわからない」と言うのは会話や、文章自体の意味がわからないときに、
よく使われ、「理解できない」は、文章や会話自体の意味はわかってもその人の
考えや目的がわからないときに、よく使います。 「分かる」と「理解」という動詞のを区別するように何か規則がありますか?
理解のほうが丁寧な言い方の?
「分かる」は、会話的で「理解」は、もう少し硬い感じがしますね。
分かる。。の方が、気軽に使えるし、理解はとても真剣な感じかな。

ELIZABETHさんへ
理解と分かるの使い方を詳細に解説してくれて、ありがとうございます。勉強になりました。でも、ELIZABETHさんの意見に、「納得」はどう使えばいいですか?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom