What's new

Blu-ray Disc VS HD DVD

I suspected that Blu-ray would eventually come out on top. Might be because the Sony name behind it.

I think that the main thing that Blu-Ray had going for it in specification terms is that it is capable of holding much more data than an HD-DVD can. I've read somewhere that that was a big reason why VHS beat out Betamax, even though the picture quality on Beta was better than VHS.

Wal-Mart also announced a couple of days ago that they would no longer sell HD-DVD's but would opt for the Blu-ray format. This brings an end to the HD format which now goes to the dust bin of history with the Beta format of video.

I made sure I was pretty reassured about the future of Blu-Ray before I got my PS3, and I'm so happy with it. A great machine that should only go from strength to strength!! :)

made of sore thumbs

The capacity difference between Beta and VHS was a factor in its demise, but ultimately, I think it was Sony's stranglehold on the format that nailed the coffin shut on Beta. For its own sake, Blu-ray is thankfully not a proprietary Sony format. All things being equal, the only thing that put it ahead of HD-DVD was its greater capacity and the support of the studios and companies that backed it over its competition. I feel sorry for those that chose sides prematurely; not because one format prevailed over the other, but because they are both young formats and the premium for early adoption is ludicrous.

Hopefully, this development will mean further development of the format, and we'll see faster, cheaper discs and hardware in the near future. That is, until the next big thing in disposable storage comes along.

Yes blu-ray one, but i still believe that both formats were pretty much equal in terms of quality. Blu-ray can store more information though and overall, i'm extremely happy i bought a ps3.

It is true that the Blue-Ray side won the battle, but do we really need the technology? I'm satisfied with the current DVD player and find no incentive to invest in a similar product.

After seeing a movie in True HD off a Blu-Ray disc, I can say there most definitely is a niche for this technology. It may not be for everyone, but it certainly has a place in the world.

anybody who owns a large HDTV needs a blu-ray player because if you watch a DVD on them it looks like crap. It is blurry because the resolution of a DVD is not even 720p and it has to stretch to fit the screen. If you watch a blu ray movie on a 1080p HDTV you can get right up next to the screen and you can't even see the pixels.

hard disk/disk on key that will enter to t.v at the futhure are better

hard disk/disk on key that will enter to t.v at the futhure are better-all the dvd-blue ray this is limit the develope....

cohen avshalom charly
israel/haifa
icarus5

Back
Top Bottom