What's new

Bilingual Japanese-English Websites

Nice work, Vanchan. The HPAIR site has really interesting programs going about globalization. Are you also involved with their acitivities ? Anybody in Japan could benefit from attending some of those seminars. The APU newspsper's nice too, just had some trouble navigating but I guess that's not done yet ? ^__^

I understand this is the early version; I can't comment on Japanese, but if you could do just a little improvement on the fonts, I think the appearance would be somewhat more appealing. Nice job, there!

Looks excellent :)

Bilingual sites are really only useful for sites where the content doesn't change much. I shudder to think if I had to create every page twice (once in English, once in Japanese).

i don't agree eelco, the sites that i am working on are primarily dynamic. what i have mainly been experimenting with it is a CMS that uses language tags. with these, you can simple put the different language content between different tags and the language changes according to the preference of the users.

of course having to write the content twice is still a pain in the backend, but is sometimes necessary if you want to reach your audience...

lexico>> the apu-boundless.com site was indeed being revised and has now been totally restructured. the new site is by the way not fully bilingual (yet).

I like it!!! good to see that the design doesnt change when you change lang ( REALLY HATE WHEN DESIGN GET BAD WHEN YOU CHOOSE J or E.... )

Nicely-designed sites. On the Hpair site home-page, the left-hand navigation top item does something strange on mouseover though, the other ones are ok.

To: Dutch Baka

Bilingual websites often have different layouts for English and Japanese versions because they are made by different people.

Japanese companies often only have a small section in English for investors and such, so the page is stripped from most links that lead to Japanese pages. That means that the layout used for the Japanese pages is no longer useable for the English pages, so they create something new for the English pages.

Unfortunate, but there you go.

To Vanchan:

You are obviously far more experienced in creating websites than I am 😊

That sounds like a great feature, that I'd love to learn someday, but still not looking forward to translating everything :eek:

Back
Top Bottom