What's new

Best places for ramen in Tokyo?

Mylynes

後輩
26 Jan 2009
I'm a big fan of ramen and was wondering where are some of the best places to get good ramen in tokyo?

Ramen Shop-hopping is a popular pastime here. When you come to Japan/Tokyo, head to a bookstore and pick up one of the numerous guide books dedicated to it.

I live in Ashikaga, Tochigi and the neighboring city of Sano, Tochigi is famous for its ramen. It is only a short distance from Tokyo, so perhaps you'd be interested in making your way there as well. There is literally one ramen shop on every block in Sano.

Ramen Shop-hopping is a popular pastime here. When you come to Japan/Tokyo, head to a bookstore and pick up one of the numerous guide books dedicated to it.
I live in Ashikaga, Tochigi and the neighboring city of Sano, Tochigi is famous for its ramen. It is only a short distance from Tokyo, so perhaps you'd be interested in making your way there as well. There is literally one ramen shop on every block in Sano.

Thank you very much for the info. I plan on making a trip to japan in around a year and I love ramen. Ramen is one of the big reasons I wanted to go in the first place. Choice of decent ramen is very limited here in the states but after I make it there that is all I want to eat. Would like to try as many kinds as I can. ^_^

Anyplace in Japan that serves ramen is a good place as each are as individual as snowflakes and have their own recipies and types (with special emphasis on the soup base) while also serving the traditional types like miso and shoyu. Sure there are so-called "famous" places, but they are just for tourists and those that want to visit a famous raman ya san, but the best experience comes from visiting the out of the way places.

Personally I love the street vendor ramen in the carts at the side of the road, especially after a night of drinking, as well as just walking into a ramen shop I have never been to before and seeing what they have to offer.

I have never had a bad experience in visiting ramen shops. I hope you have the same experience also. The best ramen is when it is a little hard a la "aldente"

Also, you might want to make it a point to visit the Ramen Museum in Shin- Yokohama for a walk through memory lane and the Japan of 30-50 years ago. It is cheap and is a wonderful experience. Also they have shops that serve ramen from all areas of Japan and you can taste them to your hearts content as they serve small "tasting" bowls as well as full sized bowls. The cost is only 300 yen for a full days pass.

Here is a link to their website: http://www.raumen.co.jp/home/

Also, if you google "Ramen Museum" You will find many links talking about it. It truly is a wonderful experience and one, as a "raman afficiondo" you should not miss or you will miss out on something extraordinary.

Good luck.

Back in 2001, I was shown around Toho Studios and after that visit, a friend and I went to Shibuya. He had a craving for ramen and we wandered around Shibuya (my feet were killing me) and found a nice ramen restaurant. I am normally not a ramen fan, but their ramen was very delicious.

This Thread is awesome.

I was looking for tips on ramen shops in Tokyo/Japan as well.

Even though I am not the Thread Starter, thank you for the advice.

It is greatly appreciated. :)

Cheers

Remixer

Back
Top Bottom