What's new

Bathing in pulic baths and hot springs

Tokis-Phoenix

先輩
23 Sep 2005
I've never been to japan yet but i would realy like to once i scrape up some extra cash, holiday time and take a couple of courses in learning japanese.
I've found this forum realy useful since i joined here and have learnt so much, but i still have some questions mainly about public baths and hot springs;
a. Are there any particular no-no's about going about washing in a public bath like any customs/unspoken "rules"?
b. What do you do if somone stares at you and won't stop or is this unlikely to happen- what do japanese think about gaijin/westerners bathing in puplic bath houses in general, is it frowned upon or are you generally accepted like any other japanese person?
c. (i know this probably sounds silly, but) what is the average routine for going about washing in a public bath or going in a hot spring for girls?
d. Do alot of rented appartments/flats or youth hostels/hotels not have baths/showers so you have to visit public baths to wash or do alot of places come equipped with basic hygene/cleaning faciltys now days in general?

Sorry if my questions sound silly but im totally new to these aspects of japanese life and would like to know as much as i can, anything else anyone can tell me is much appreiciated 🙂

The only thing I don't see mentioned in that thread is that depending on the place, someone might have their kids in there with them. I went into the onsen at Gala Yusawa once after snowboarding, and a guy had his admittedly young, but not that old daughter in there. I guess she was probably 6. Not strange for Japan at all, and personally doesn't bother me, but could be shocking to some.

i heard about that you shall not wear tattoos if you decide going in a puclic bath.
the bad guards may throw you out because you could be one of the yakuza.

but i cannot really really believe this, lets see how many get tattooed in these times? countless...

I have a small Tatoo on my ankle. Never been kicked out of anywhere. Toshimaen, a water park in Tokyo, has a sign that says "no tatoos" but then you see guys with their bodies covered in them when you go in. o_O

Ok, ok, girl to the rescue.

Well, I only went to one in Japan, but I have been to a few in Korea, and its very very similar.
Basically when you go in, you pay your money, they give you a towel (but take your own just in case they dont... I got caught out in Japan without one and had to buy 2 that were really thin, and didnt dry me much).
Some have shampoos and body washes, but it pays to take your own, as well as all your normal bathing items.
Oh yeah, you take your shoes off at the entrance, and put them in a little locker, then take the key from the locker to the front and pay, then they will give you a key to a bigger locker inside.

So enter the womens changing area, take off your clothes, then take your towel, and washing things into the general washing area, after locking everything you dont need into the big inside locker.

When you are in the general washing area, there are sit down showers, or standup showers, wash your body clean. Pays to have one of those scrubby towel thingees to get all the dead skin off. If anyone would be watching you, it would be now, but I havent noticed it. They will be checking to make sure you're clean enough to get into the baths! (just kidding, but maybe it happens?)

Then after a thorough scrubbing there is usually somewhere (a ledge or shelf) to put your shampoo and stuff on while you are bathing.

Generally, but not always the temperatures of the pools will be indicated in degrees celcius, otherwise make sure you check with your toes before jumping right in!

Feel free to get in and out of all the different baths, outside baths are nice and relaxing and even the super hot ones are bearable with a nice cool breeze.

Dont feel too self concious, they have been bathing like this since the beginning of time... you will most likely only be uncomfortable for the first 5 minutes anyway.

I have two tattoos, and have never had problems with them, also I went into one once severly sunburnt, so bright red and WHITE and nobody even looked then.

Mothers usually take their sons with them into the baths, just because its safer than them going by themselves into the other pools, but once again, they wont be staring.
If anything they just get in your way when they practice their swimming.

When you're done, you go back to the ledge, get your shampoos and things, and re-wash. Then dry yourself before going back into the changing area. In the changing area there are communal face lotions, hair products and hairdryers, so you can leave looking more like a million dollars than a drowned rat

Enjoy it! Its so wonderful and relaxing!
If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

oh i am sorry. i only heard of that tattoo thing. you proved i was not right, sorry.

but now i have a question for myself too: are you covered with that towel like in animes? or are kids and you are naked?
and whats about these cold folded towels on your head?

is the water with chlorine? or just like normal water? or even "better" one? (holy, with bubbles, or herbs or something...)

The water is fresh and hot. There are some pools with high pressure water jets, but im not sure about the herb pools, but I would like to see it!

I never covered myself with a towel, nor did I see anyone wearing towels.
Im not too sure what you meant about the cold folded towel on your head, I washed my hair before getting in the pool, and wrapped my hair in a towel. Is that what you meant?

Perhaps mens baths are a little stricter on the tattoos, I have heard about not being allowed tattoos showing in gyms and things. Mine are small and unoffensive, so I dont see that they would be of too much concern.

People will see you naked, unless you go WAY out of your way to cover yourself up. Just the way it goes. I went to the Azabu Juuban onsen after a night of partying with a bunch of friends. A couple of them were gay, but mates, so no big deal. One of the rather sarcistic English guys looked at him and said, "If you get hard on us in here, we're tossing you out w/o your clothes."

Oh, yeah -- if you go in the steam room, don't forget to sit on your towel. A mistake best not learned the hard way.

I have talked with friend from japan about the tattoo thing in public baths, yes it is true that in some place , but not all, won't let you in if your tattooed, BUT if your a forigner it dosent matter about tattoos.

Actually tonight out in Kobe (Hyogo-Ken) I was at onsen with a Japanese friend I met at my uni in America. I have a tattoo on my back and have gone to onsen about five times and have not even had anyone comment on it whatsoever.
As for the naked questions...everyone is naked 100% unless you decide to use a small towel (if you feel the need) to cover yourself. I'd say only a small percentage of Japanese men actually use these, but they are around. I've used the towels my first couple times, but am now totally used to the process and just take the leap.
Anyway, onsen is so so relaxing; you owe it to yourself to at least go one time!!!

VERY INSIGHTFUL... IM PLANING ON VISITING A LOCAL SPRING HERE SOMETIME..

sorry for the caps..

any in the tokyo area you can reccomend?

Off-Topic ... but ...

Sorry to be in a flippant mood ... but it's Saturday!

I've just noticed a potentially humurous "typo" in the title of this thread. I see that the "B" was inadvertantly omitted from "Public".

It occurred to me how funny it might have been if it had been the "L" that had been omitted instead ......:sorry: :sorry: :sorry: :sorry: :sorry:

ニ淡ニ停?。ニ停?

This is just my personal experience, from a single visit to one of several "hot springs" hotels at Hakone (none of the hotels' water was actually fed by the hot springs, so that part of it seems a bit phony). There were separate male and female rooms (which I understand is normal).

Anyway, we (my son and I) were supplied with two towels: one medium size one that we were instructed to leave in the dressing area outside the washing/bathing room, and a tiny washcloth-size one that could be brought inside. What I noticed as peculiar was that inside the men's washing/bathing room, (1) the Japanese men all used the tiny washcloth to cover their gonads while walking to and from the bath (and even while sitting in the bath), which seemed rather silly to me, especially as it more called attention to that area than anything else, and (2) the Japanese avoided us and some seemed even to actually leave the area when we would enter. One or two even turned around and left when they entered and saw us already there.

I don't know whether this was because we didn't use the washcloths to cover ourselves, or because we were gaijin, or because my son was a juvenile, or some other reason. I should say that I'm 55, my son is 12, and we are conservative looking.

Bramicus, Seems like a strange case to me! Sorry it had to happen on your first time and could have possibly given you a bad taste for Japanese onsen / ofuro type bathing. I've never gone once to onsen, in 5 different times, and have seen this type of behavior. I was actually shocked in the opposite way of the complete openness of the Japanese men and their bodies. I did once have a little kid tell me I look like a Gaikokujin, but that was the only thing of that sort that has happened. Perhaps the behaviors of Kansai men differ that much from the Tokyo area? I doubt it, but it sounds strange to me!

Actually, it didn't bother me or insult me. I just thought it peculiar and figured it was something cultural I didn't know about. My son worried about it.

MixedIssue;Bathing in pulic baths and hot springs

I just read this, that mixed bathing is dieing out. Even the prime minister
has complained why. That young un-discplined people are destroying an age old Japanese tradtion.

Their seems to be gross, crude behaviour during mixed bathing. Mostly from guys under the age of 30. Even physical harrasment of women. Therefore mixed bathing is being stopped.

Kara_Nari that was an excellent description of a Japanese bath/Onsen

TuskCracker said:
I just read this, that mixed bathing is dieing out. Even the prime minister
has complained why. That young un-discplined people are destroying an age old Japanese tradtion.

Their seems to be gross, crude behaviour during mixed bathing. Mostly from guys under the age of 30. Even physical harrasment of women. Therefore mixed bathing is being stopped.

I've been to an onsen or two that offered konyoku bathing, but it usually had some odd alteration in direct response to that kind of behavior. One had a small balcony that allowed women to look down upon men to judge for themselves if they wanted to get in the mixed pool. There were women there, but none seemed too interested in hanging with me and my two white buddies.

Incidentally, I could never get the word konyoku to stick in my vocab. I used to call it konyaku, and if there are any food people here, you'll know how confused people would get.

Incidentally, I could never get the word konyoku to stick in my vocab. I used to call it konyaku, and if there are any food people here, you'll know how confused people would get.

konyaku could also mean Wedding Engagement :)

Here is a little piece I did on Tatoo's in Onsen.

Japannewbie.com
You can see my friend with a tatoo getting in despite the warning sign. No one stopped him or said anything.

Maybe already mentioned, but my personal survival tips for onsen.

- shower, soap up, rinse before getting in
- bring the small towel with you to cover gonads while walking.
- Don't let gonads towel get into the onsen water. If its cold outside, gonads towel can be placed on your head to keep you from catching a cold (or so they say).
- It's optional to shower after finishing onsen. Some say if it's a really pure onsen it's better not to shower afterwards or you'll wash off all the healing minerals and crap.

Otherwise if you follow those rules I think you'll be alright really... People will stare but it's nothing malicous, just curiosity!

Harvey said:
- Don't let gonads towel get into the onsen water.
I noticed some Japanese keeping the little towel on their lap while sitting in the onsen water.

(Aside: I guess I first used the word gonads in this thread. I suppose the proper word should be genitals.)

I went to public baths a few times when I was in Japan, and although I was apprehensive about going at first, I didn't find that anyone there really stared at us after the initial glance even though we were gaijin. I don't know about the male onsens obviously as we didn't go to any mixed, but people rarely covered themselves and I think if we had we would have stood out even more!

It was such a relaxing experience, would definately recommend it!!

I never wanted to go to an onsen/public bath ever.

This christmas i was supposed to go and bathe with my gf`s dad. I was dreading it. Anyway we split up and so i did not have to. One of my friends this was the bright side of our split up.

4 days ago i rode my bike to beppu. 70plus miles from my house. Yes very hard work. After that my legs were killing. As soon as i got there i jumped into the onsen without a second thought. It helped my legs so much.

Bit sad though. I wont go with my gf`s dad but i end up riding a bike 70 miles and having an onsen with other weirdo`s lol

Great fun though, so relaxing.

Back
Top Bottom