What's new

Bathing Ape/question

Sukotto

先輩
9 Jul 2003
This is probably a relatively easy question to answer and I could probably find the info for myself somewhere on the web, but I've just got to get away from another forum i usually frequent.

? is
Is Bathing Ape a Japanese company?

My BAPE story:

Last summer a friend and I went to Japan and we were walking around Fukuoka when we came across a store with what looked like Planet of the Ape tees. My friend is huge PotA's fan so we had to go in and perhaps purchase one. This idea ended as quickly as the "cool" in our heads came from seeing the shirts initially. The BAPE shirts were like 6800 Yen!?! Certainly not below 6000 Y.
That's like 60 american dollars!! We quickly came to the conclusion that Bathing Ape was a brand name for the too hip. Although the shirts were really cool.

FF about a month ago. My friend had taken up travelling again and this time was going to 4 SE Asian countries for 999$ (Am) airfair on Malaysian airlines. Fing cheap if you ask me. Anyway. After our Japan trip I'd picked up the recent issue of Giant Robot magazine- a magazine published in Cali. somewhere by Asian-Americans into all the fun stuff. In this issue was a short article about popular name brand knock-offs available in many SE Asian Chinatowns for $6-8. Sooooooo...., forwarding this info to my soon to be traveling friend, I now am the first in my neighborhood to own a BAPE t-shirt. And and know he didn't spend 50 friggin' bucks on omiyage. (the English word is too hard to spell)

Update,

Apparently the shirt my friend got me was not a knock-off.
It was too small for me so I gave it to my younger sister.

Maybe me calling BAPE expensive for the "too hip" was a bit much?
Am I being a bit too judgemental in this?

I do not know. Perhaps it is a different situation in Japan.
Am I, or was I being culturally close-minded about this?

Are t-shirts normally that expensive?
Many of my friends and I usually make fun of name
brands in the states such as Nike and Gap and
Old Navy. This has quite a bit to do with the
whole sweatshop thing.

BAPE is repuslive... in almost every single way possible--- so saying that it's for the 'too hip' is pretty correct.

BAPE is pretty much over in Japan now--- though it will certainly do well in New York especially with the cheesy hip hop crowd who neither care about bootlegs, nor care about being original...

Someone said recently that the only people who wear BAPE these days are gaijin art students in Japan---

Besides, the clothes look abhorent--- Nigo designs clothes the way that toyshops design toys, furthermore he hates his clientelle... I actually doubt that you did in fact get an authentic Bathing Ape tee, as these are ONLY sold at any of the stores, simply called "Busy Workshops", and these stores are never ever labled, and they only sell, BAPE/BAPESTA/BABY MILO, blah blah...

Really... I like Hysteric Glamour because nobody cares about it, and I think their clothes are fun. Almost everything else is just yankii trash...

edit: oh, yeah--- I dont think that expensive 'label' clothing is to blame, just clothing made with the specification of manufactured scarcity (BAPE) is repellent.

"blah blah..."

yep. all of that is just an opinion and my opinion is that its an opinion

"Maybe me calling BAPE expensive for the "too hip" was a bit much?
Am I being a bit too judgemental in this?"
no, it is probably correct
but there are at least ten thousand other clothing labels that fit that description as well
cross colours was overpriced and so is fubu
have fun

Thanks for the info.
In general I try to avoid fashion. Whatever that is?
Especially name brand things.
Maybe the "coolness" of 2nd hand shops from the early 90s stuck
with me?
Plus it's recycling the easy way.
These days the pocket book makes it a necessity.

***"clothing made with the specification of manufactured scarcity (BAPE) is repellent."

You mean like #34 out of a limited edition of 500?!?
That sounds weird. If they were starving artists or something
and could only afford to make so many, then I could see it.

yukio_michael said:
BAPE is pretty much over in Japan now--- though it will certainly do well in New York especially with the cheesy hip hop crowd who neither care about bootlegs, nor care about being original...

That's American culture for ya! Gotta love it!

Back
Top Bottom