What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Basic Japanese phrases?

Lopan999

Junior Master
Reaction score
Does "Nani o shimasu ka?" mean "what do you want to do?"
If not, how would I ask that question?
AND...
If I had to use the bathroom would I then ask something like ",doko ga Toiretu desu ka?"

Emoni

先輩
Reaction score
Hmmm, it is close. "Nani o shimasu ka" comes off to me as what are you going to do. However, I'm sure if you ask someone that and they are not doing anything it would be a polite way of asking if they would like to do something. I'm not advanced enough myself to know the direct translation of what do you want to do. I believe it is something like "Nani o shitai ka?" That is a guess though.

As for the bathroom, I'm fairly sure it is "Otearai ni doko desu ka?

MeAndroo

先輩
Reaction score
Close. "Otearai wa doko desu ka?" You're right about the shitai, as far as I know. What are you going to do can also be said "dou suru" or "dou shimasu ka?"

Lopan999

Junior Master
Reaction score
Thanks much... I'm going to be talking to a japanese person in a few days and I'll use these phrases and hope you guys didn't screw me over.

TwistedMac

Sempai
Reaction score
Lopan999 said:
Thanks much... I'm going to be talking to a japanese person in a few days and I'll use these phrases and hope you guys didn't screw me over.

LMAO!
*watches as Lopan asks his friend if he wants it up the rump*
j/k j/k!

Last edited:

Emoni

先輩
Reaction score
... believe it or not Lopan. The first thing that came to my mind was NOT screwing you over :p Hey, I'm paranoid, but not THAT paranoid :D

Lopan999

Junior Master
Reaction score
But I am that paranoid... except for the fact that I'm not.
Or at least I wasn't paranoid till my Japanese comrade performed seppuku two seconds after I used those translations. Actually now that I think of it, that may of not happened... yet.

Top Bottom