What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Bad Priest

Thunderthief

Kouhai
Reaction score
i dont see whats so wrong about enjoying some smokes and a beer, hippies have just built that up to be a bad thing

Harvey

先輩
Reaction score
True, but Japanese priests must go through a type of intense training before they can start practicing. To do this, though the details depend on the type of priest they are, they must abandon "desires of wordly men" or something of that sort.

Hachiro

先輩
Reaction score
Just out of curiousity why assume that he is a priest or monk? My father-in-law dresses in a similar type kimono quite often and has a beer while wearing it as well. He surely isn't a priest either. I also know of quite a few elderly Japanese people that have short hair like the guy in the picture as well.

From this angle I would only say that, at least to me anyway, it looks like an elderly Japanese gentleman wearing a kimono, enjoying a beer, a smoke and apparently picking his nose getting ready to enjoy a :ramen: maybe?

Revenant

Sempai
Reaction score
Some elderly men dress like that cause it's a style that won't ever be in or out of fashion, and it fits an expanding waistline as well. It saves them money, and they can gradually throw away/give away/sell stuff in preperation for death (their children won't have much to take care of when the elderly make their final journey).

Stutz

先輩
Reaction score
Harvey said:
True, but Japanese priests must go through a type of intense training before they can start practicing. To do this, though the details depend on the type of priest they are, they must abandon "desires of wordly men" or something of that sort.

Sounds like something a Jedi would do.

Top Bottom