What's new

Automatic or Manual?

Machine

後輩
29 Jan 2003
Manual baby!( I dont know why, but I cant drive an automatic :()
Sticxk shifts are easier than Automatics. ;) BTW, how do u post polls?

Everyone drives manual in Holland, simply because automatics are more expensive. Dutch people always go for the cheapest option. :)

I've never driven an automatic and i don't really care to try it either. I'd feel like giving up full control over the car.

In Japan, most of all cars are automatics. Because automatic is easier than manual. Especially woman likes an automatic. And car manufacturer make many automatic cars, but manual is very few. Because people tend to buy automatics in Japan. Manual is only sports car.:eek:
But truck and bus are only manual. Manual is more economical than automatic.😊
I like manual and sports car.:)

NANGI

i prefer the manual system, cause you can drive how you like, and the manual box is kinda more efficient (i get more accelaration from my 1.4L 75hp manual box than with a ford taurus v6 3L automatic :eek: )

Manual is for fun/control. Automatic is for convenience and comfort. I like both, depending on a mood.

The stigma is that because U.S. drivers are lazy, that most cars here are Automatic.

In Europe, because its a lot cheaper and fuel is so expensive, most people go with manual transmissions.

I prefer manuals as well. :) You truly have "more control of the car".

Out of all the manufacturers in the US, VW is the manufacturer with the highest percentage of 5-speeds among its fleet.

yes, in america laziness takes priority over ecomonmy.
though i do think we should do away with alot of the automatics, they tend to let people forget what they are doing, while a standard keeps you more aware of the vehicle.

Originally posted by jeisan
yes, in america laziness takes priority over ecomonmy.
though i do think we should do away with alot of the automatics, they tend to let people forget what they are doing, while a standard keeps you more aware of the vehicle.

Indeed. Much harder to talk on a cell phone and fuss with your baby in your SUV while having to put in the clutch and shift. hehe... ^_^

Originally posted by FumetsuGolf
Indeed. Much harder to talk on a cell phone and fuss with your baby in your SUV while having to put in the clutch and shift. hehe... ^_^
no no, it's easyly doable :D
just get your cell phone in one hand and steer+shift with the other one or get your self la mic :eek:

For me it really depends on the type of ride and my surrounding environment. If i'm driving in congested areas like the city for instance with lots of stop-and-go then I prefer an automatic for ease of driving. If i'm on the open road where I can really cut loose then manual is the only way to go, hands-down. The extra degree of control it allows you can really be important, especially if you're an experienced driver and know how to get the most out of your machine. Ultimately, I guess it comes down to personal preference and driving style with both being feasible dependent upon the given situation.
:)

Manual 100%
I have never owned an automatic, and I'd like to keep it that way. One of my good friends once said something funny: "Automatics are only for women and handicapped ppl"
:p

MANUAL!!

In my opinion, everyone should learn to drive manual...because it is easier to switch from manual to automatic. My American friend learnt to drive in an automatic car, and when she bought an old with manual gear, she had to learn it from the beginning!! 😊

Manual is good enough for me, as I really feel that I AM DRIVING!! 🎈 However, I can see that automatic is convenient....

Automatic for me! I'm lazy and damn proud of it too! Call me anything you want except late for dinner!

:D

thomas said:
The article below claims that 80% of all cars in Europe are manual. I thought that percentage is much higher.

Me too. I'd say 99%, as I have never seen an automatic car in the regions of Europe where I have lived. Could be that one country has only automatic cars, which would raise the average for "Europe".

flashjeff said:
Automatic for me! I'm lazy and damn proud of it too! Call me anything you want except late for dinner!

:D

My current ride is a manual, but transmission type had nothing to do with the choice of the car. For a personal car, I would actually rather have an automatic. I get more than my quota of gear shifting at work.

A Lot Harder To........

burn up an automatic transmission then a manual. I drive real hard and usually burn up a clutch in 2 to 3 years at the best. With the price of parts and labor, you're talking big money to replace a clutch now days. I stick to automatics that last 10 years or more with me.

Frank

😊

I learned on a manual and I drove a manual for a long time...but my husband being the 'automatic' type, I've driven nothing but automatics since we got married...

Driving mr.sumo.jnr to kindergarten every morning demands an automatic - even my son knows not to start noticing things out of his window until we're halfway there and daddy's properly woken up!

Since I drive a big old jeep and am a painfully careful driver I really can't see the need for a manual gearbox jidousha unless one is determined to consistently drive in excess of the posted speed limit. Either that or you live in a country where overtaking other vehicles is allowed.

In Japan, on about 90% of all single lane roads - including national highways - there is no overtaking. Funnily enough it's the one traffic law that is generally upheld. In ten years driving here I can clearly remember the three times I was overtaken on a single-lane road.

Remind me to tell you about the guy in a 10 ton truck who tried to pass me and failed to complete the maneuver.

I would guess that after all these years any feelings of guilt associated with causing a twenty car convoy whilst negotiating some of the single-lane national highways in Shizuoka, Nagano or Achi have all but evaporated. Anyway, car drivers should be using the expressways - unless it's a Sunday.

manual baby. only reason why my car back in the US is auto is because it wasn't available with a manual transmission from the factory. automatics are great for doing donuts or for heavy traffic.

definitely manual though, especially in sport cars.

Back
Top Bottom