What's new

asian vs hollywood

echo

後輩
10 Jan 2005
hi guys,
I love asian films, to me i think they are better on reflecting upon real life compared to hollywood. But what shocked me was i saw this discussion and people where saying how hollywood is far better. if you wanna check it out and back me up please do so. discussion

echo said:
hi guys,
I love asian films, to me i think they are better on reflecting upon real life compared to hollywood. But what shocked me was i saw this discussion and people where saying how hollywood is far better. if you wanna check it out and back me up please do so.
Nice way of promoting your board. However, feel free to expand right here, we have a movie section as well. :p

I think both have their merits. Hong Kong films tend to have a more natural acting and direction style due to the lower budgets and tight filming schedules. Japanese films have some of the best plots to appear in recent years. Hollywood films are all about stars and special effects these days, okay a gross over-simplification. They all have something going for them, but in different ways. Japan produces the large scale special effect laden movies (Casshern), Hollywood produces smaller more story orientated films (Lost In Translation, Memento). Hong Kong has started to produce some really good non action movies (Infernal Affairs). So they all have something for them, and they are all crossing over.

Depends, asian films tend to portray normal people better, but thats thanks to the low budgets. Hollywood can do the same, but you can pick your period, be it the early 90's, the 16th century etc.

Depends on your taste, my favorite film for 2004 for The Terminal.

Hollywood movies are full of asanine humor that is a complete insult to the human intellect.

Hollywood can't even come up with their own ideas anymore, so they copy movies from other countries, water them down, and release them as their own.

Hollywood makes movies out of books and TV shows that were popular decades ago, yet these movies bear no resemblence to the books and TV shows that inspired them and usually only share the title.

Hollywood makes all of their movies the same way by following a cookie-cutter formula in order to illicit the most money. Because money is all that is driving Hollywood, every movie is aimed at the lowest intelligence bracket of the population... if they made an intelligent movie very few would pay to see it, but if they made a dumb movie everyone goes to see it (or gets dragged to it) Have you ever noticed how Hollywood movies plots are very simple, the movie usually spells out everything, and if there ever is symbolism its intented meaning is usually brought up by the director in an interview(because its so hard for people to think for themselves isnt it)

Can someone tell me why the entire world imports hollywood movies, yet instead of hollywood importing movies from the rest of the world they remake them?

I personally think foreign films for the most part are better at depicting real people better and more realistic scenarios since well, the budget isn't as high. Foreign film directors don't have to encounter as many idiotic superstars who get paid way too much and they are completely ego tripping.

It really depends, sometimes films from hollywood arent that bad and somethings movies from asia isn't that good either. Basically to me if the movies talks about the stuff i like, its a good film :p

Back
Top Bottom