What's new

Asian ghetto wannabes

Dream Time

後輩
20 Jul 2003
what do you think about those Asian ghetto wannabes?

nowadays there are so many Asians that pretends to be ghetto

why can't we just be ourselves instead of pretending to be someone we aren't?

an American relative of mine tells me she hides her ghetto-ness in front of her parents, such as the way she wears he cap, and i wanted to tell her:
'being ghetto isn't just about the way you dress, girl, you are either from the ghettos or not from the ghettos, you can't pretend to be ghetto...'

i love hip hop music and culture, but i would never pretend to be ghetto
and we don't have a ghetto in Vancouver anyways, however, Asian ghetto wannabes are everywhere.

ya, i've been to Toronto's Sarbrough, and WOW it's scary. asian people acting all "gangsta". o_O

yeh, it's something weird hehe...but there is a big influence from American/african ppl, look in Japan...lots of bands like Soul'd out and M-flo etc.they took an american ingrediënt and added a japanese flavor to it 😌

It seems a lot of young Asian-Americans who grew up in America, fall into becoming all G'd out, which I think is unfortunate because it seems like such an act.

I have to admit that I used to be one of those kids who dressed like a gangsta, or at least tried to. I used to take hiphop dance lessons in Japan and NY and wore baggy clothes. 😄
It is one of fads that a lot of teenagers go through; hiphop culture is extremely popular among asians for some reason, seems a little embarrasing, but I think it's kind of cute as long as they are behaving well.

What? But this J-girl is bustier than J-Lo who is famous for her perfect a$$!

As for Asian ghetto wannabes, I think Edison Chen (from Hong Kong but raised in Vancouver) is trying to imitate EMINEM. I like both EMINEM and Edison. 98.to - a really cool domain parked on Park.io

Although Edison's music still sucks, in my opinion at least he looks pretty good in his ghetto clothes so he is not as unbearable as other HK artists like Yumiko, Andy Lau and Nicholas Tse. Many of my senile friends think Edison and Nicholas look the same though!? http://www.eegmusic.com/artists/eeg/eeg01.php

Yeah, like Kirei said, it's all over Japan like a rash. My students love EMINEM and all kinds of rap. The funny part is, these kids are real hicks! (Not meant in an offensive way.) I mean, they live in a town of 200 people and work in the rice fields on the weekends, running around barefoot all day. Not that they understand anything that EMINEM is rapping about. But hey, whatever floats your boat!

-Another sad result of the massive exportation of America's crappy pop culture.

:(

misa.j said:
I have to admit that I used to be one of those kids who dressed like a gangsta, or at least tried to. I used to take hiphop dance lessons in Japan and NY and wore baggy clothes. 😄
It is one of fads that a lot of teenagers go through; hiphop culture is extremely popular among asians for some reason, seems a little embarrasing, but I think it's kind of cute as long as they are behaving well.

lol
misa.j is a b-girl!!
lets make a video or something

i love wearing baggy clothes,
and i am gonna learn to do graffiti and DJ-ing sometime, just coz i love that hip hop culture, MC, DJ, B-boy, Graffiti
i started playing basketball since when i was 10 so i guess it was only natural that i hang around with some black people, and somehow i got influenced by them i guess

however, what I mean by 'hip hop', I don't listen to Eminem, 50cent and those mainstream gangsta rappers
i listen to The Roots, A Tribe Called Quest, DJ Honda. Loop Junktion, Rhymester, Run DMC..etc...
ya some old school stuffs!!

Sally_Hawn said:

As for Asian ghetto wannabes, I think Edison Chen (from Hong Kong but raised in Vancouver) is trying to imitate EMINEM. I like both EMINEM and Edison. 98.to - a really cool domain parked on Park.io

Although Edison's music still sucks, in my opinion at least he looks pretty good in his ghetto clothes so he is not as unbearable as other HK artists like Yumiko, Andy Lau and Nicholas Tse. Many of my senile friends think Edison and Nicholas look the same though!? http://www.eegmusic.com/artists/eeg/eeg01.php

Edison Chan's hit song 'Hong Kong' is directly copied from 2pac's 'To Live And Die In LA'...damn!

sorry, i hate both Eminem and Edison Chan

kirei_na_me said:
DT, you have the best taste.

ATCQ is the best. Electric Relaxation.

thanks , lol
i love those 'old school' hip hop

can i kick it? yes you can :p

i am not into those mainstream hip hop much, especially gangsta rap,
i like 2pac, but thats about it..

Yeah, there are a lotta peeps that think they are so-called "Thug." However, they have no way of backing it up, so it's like dude your not a gansta. It's not just how they dress, it's the way they talk and how they carry themselves, and so if they actaully came into a confrontation with a thug, they would no doubt get messed up I'm assuming. I like rap/hip hop myself, but I don't have a blue flag hanging out my backside, but only on the left side, yeah that's the crip side.

I was up in Roppongi at Gas Panic, and there were some Japanese wannabe looking thug dudes, and I was just laughing becasue they looked pretty ludicrous. wearing chains and stuff swearing that they were straight outta G-Unit. I guess I just don't understand the wannabe thug phenomenon. There's a lotta white guys doing the same thing, and I'm like dude you're not Eminem, so take that ridiculous rag of your head fool. I swear they are gonna cross the wrong dude, and it might get them in some trouble to say the least.

窶督イ Time said:
Edison Chan's hit song 'Hong Kong' is directly copied from 2pac's 'To Live And Die In LA'...damn!

sorry, i hate both Eminem and Edison Chan

Errr... okay, apology accepted.

Btw, it is funny that both Edison and Kelly Chan are fr Hk, but their last name is spelled as Chen, like that of the Taiwanese President.

I heard Eminem signed up 50 cents who does gangster rap, but Enemin himself are better known for rapping about his traumatic childhood and bashing Bush and Michael Jackson, no?

Last but not least, ナステシナ津カ says,"Da Pump looks soooo kawaii in their ツ"Love Is The Final Libertyツ" (shot in NYC) video. They dance like four cartoon characters. It is so very hilarious to watch!"

You shouldn't forget that in Japan (and probably the whole of Asia), image is what counts. Background is secondary. If you look urban, you are urban. It's not about being a wannabe, it's about looking the part.

On a sidenote, I personally think the whole American rapscene is one big fraud. It's all a big scheme thought up by businessmen in suits, who do a lot of marketing research. The artists are just pawns. That's how the whole American music industry works, so i don't believe it's any different in the hip-hop scene.

I wouldn't say the whole rap scene. The mainstream artists, sure. G-Unit, Eminem, Jay-Z, Lil Jon, etc. There are good non-mainstream rap artists out there, though, like Mos Def, Jurassic 5, The Roots, etc.

Like the J-scene is any different. I could never take that stuff seriously. J-stuff(and not only music) is very strategically marketed too, I'd say.

Sally_Hawn said:
Errr... okay, apology accepted.

Btw, it is funny that both Edison and Kelly Chan are fr Hk, but their last name is spelled as Chen, like that of the Taiwanese President.

I heard Eminem signed up 50 cents who does gangster rap, but Enemin himself are better known for rapping about his traumatic childhood and bashing Bush and Michael Jackson, no?

Last but not least, ナステシナ津カ says,"Da Pump looks soooo kawaii in their ツ"Love Is The Final Libertyツ" (shot in NYC) video. They dance like four cartoon characters. It is so very hilarious to watch!"

quite frankly I find the voices of Eminem and 50cent very annoying..
i just hate gangsta rap..Eminem is not gangsta rap but i still hate his music

I don't like Eminem's voice either. There's this other white rapper, Paul Wall, who isn't nearly as well known, but he sounds a lot better.

kirei_na_me said:
I wouldn't say the whole rap scene. The mainstream artists, sure. G-Unit, Eminem, Jay-Z, Lil Jon, etc. There are good non-mainstream rap artists out there, though, like Mos Def, Jurassic 5, The Roots, etc.

Like the J-scene is any different. I could never take that stuff seriously. J-stuff(and not only music) is very strategically marketed too, I'd say.

agree with you there

i found it kind of sad fo the hip hop community because those people who don't know hip hop , they look at Eminem, look at 50cent, look at Jay-Z, and decides to believe that the whole hip hop thing is about violence, bling bling, sex

thats not what hip hop is about,
hip hop is about people telling stories of daily lives, things happening around us, things we should be aware of, its about being creative.
gangsta rap is only a genre of hip hop that emerged from the late 80s.
in the songs from artists like A Tribe Called Quest, you don't hear them talking about violence,gangsta and pimps, in fact many true hip hop artists sends positive messages through their music.
the mainstream hip hop guys really give the hip hop art a bad name

i like some Japanese hip hop though
Rhymester is almost equivalent to Run DMC of Japan
Loop Junktion is a jazz hip hop live band like The Roots
DJ Honda, DJ Hasebe, DJ Tonk and of course, DJ Krush....etc..these guys are awesome

Yes. Now DJ Krush I take seriously. ;-) He's not about show. He looks like the 42 year old man that he is and he's goooooood.

kirei_na_me said:
I don't like Eminem's voice either. There's this other white rapper, Paul Wall, who isn't nearly as well known, but he sounds a lot better.

I think Eminem got famous only because he is white, he is the white hope of hip hop...I don't want to sound like a racist..thats just what I think...

Sally_Hawn said:

that singer annoys me. i've never heard any of his songs, and all i know is that he appears on chips bags, but he's really, i dunno, poser-ish? :eek:

eminem isnt that bad, i like the song Mosh hehe or at least the video....

Dream Time said:
agree with you there

i found it kind of sad fo the hip hop community because those people who don't know hip hop , they look at Eminem, look at 50cent, look at Jay-Z, and decides to believe that the whole hip hop thing is about violence, bling bling, sex

thats not what hip hop is about,
hip hop is about people telling stories of daily lives, things happening around us, things we should be aware of, its about being creative.
gangsta rap is only a genre of hip hop that emerged from the late 80s.
in the songs from artists like A Tribe Called Quest, you don't hear them talking about violence,gangsta and pimps, in fact many true hip hop artists sends positive messages through their music.
the mainstream hip hop guys really give the hip hop art a bad name

Eminem isn't gangsta rap, he just tries to provoke people with his lyrics. He has some good points, like in Mosh, Sing for the moment, and in Toysoldiers he says he doesn't wan to beef with anyone anymore.I like his voice when he sings Hailie's song and Mockinbird, and he isn't bad rapper either. And what about other white rappers like Beastie Boys, Bubba Sparxxx, and ICP...
For those of you, who hate Eminem, visit this site
Feminem

And that my post wouldn't be so much offtopic, in Finland teenagers try to be hiphop too, they wear baggy clothes and listen to finnish "rappers".

ToySoldier said:
And that my post wouldn't be so much offtopic, in Finland teenagers try to be hiphop too, they wear baggy clothes and listen to finnish "rappers".

i wonder what finish rap sounds like ;)

@ main topic, hmmmmm, well hip hop has spread fast and wide, but sadly there is no one good these days on tv, al these new cherry/vanilla flavor rappers who all suddenly turned romantic and all are just annoying, bah, guess it's ok phases come and go, hopefully someone talented will come along ☝

Back
Top Bottom