What's new

Asian Gaijin

sj147

後輩
15 Sep 2006
How are asian gaijin (more specifically, asian from the pacific areas) generally treated in Japan? After searching around for a while, I found how caucasian gaijin are generally treated, but I have never seen an account which included a foreigner of asian descent. I suppose that outside asians are frowned upon and even hated, but I can't just suppose, since i'm planning to visit there and would like to know. Hopefully my guess is wrong.

Any input?

(Note: The following really sounds quite bad, lol, so I put in a note to say that this is only about a small number of people)

To be quite frank there isn't as much of the love of oriental-asian gaijin as there are for the other countries, but I see a lot of similar things in other countries. Take Japan and Korea for examples, not the best of friends to say the least, but there's also England and Ireland(and France), America and Canada, France and Germany, Australia and New Zealand...

In my honest opinion a lot of these countries are very similar (atleast to eachother) than the rest of the world, most people have this.. rivalry? Opinion to their closer countries I guess. Now to my point, the sad fact is just as in any of these countries there are some (and very few) people that their hatred for these countries is beyond a level of normality, and this can lead to unpleasant behaviour to people from said country.

In recent times in Japan I hear that a lot of Koreans are moving to Japan, and the locals are not quite taking to them as they're taking up a lot of the jobs (will work harder for lower pay). Even though they're not actually doing anything wrong I've heard some comments from some people that seem to be fuelled by the rivalry more than anything!

Sorry for the bummer reply, lol, I make it sound terrible but really it's not that bad, that is just a small number of people. In general the Japanese will treat you like any other gaijin (if you look it) wether you're asian or not, lol

well when i was there just this past august they didn't really notice the difference ^^; i'm chinese but a lot of people think i'm japanese. i'll be honest,while i was there they didn't really seem to like indian people and gaijin but they don't really mind other asians.

I guess the new generation can't really tell the difference anymore like the ancient generations could. Also, because of all the mixing and so, I bet it's getting difficult to see who's really japanese or not...

My experience is similar to xPL41NxW31RDx's (I had to copy-paste that name). I'm half Chinese, half-Japanese, all American. I felt like I blended in well when I was alone or with my Japanese friends, at least visually. I certainly never got the random person coming up to me speaking broken English or asking for a tutor. If I was randomly approached, it was always in Japanese and they spoke as quickly as they normally would. It's a weird situation when you know you don't really fit in, but people assume you are a local and should act like one based on appearance. Playing the "gaijin card" is a little tougher, but with loud English I was able to get by.

few Japanese hate gaijin you say? Then can you explain the overwhelming support for the infamous racist of Tokyo, the great Ishihara Shintaro?? 80% Japanese support vote and support his racist views. So in this sense, the number of racists roaming the internet does reflect the number of racists in the real world. The truth is ONLY and ONLY racists vote for Ishihara Shintaro soley for racial purposes. You can't vote for Ishihara Shintaro if you are not racist.

At least the word "all" can apply in this situation so it is correct to say that ALL people who support Ishihara Shintaro is racist. I mean what use is a politician who focuses on getting rid of people of color most of the time. Should Ishihara Shintaro being doing something more productive? Or maybe another politician is better for the job? The only reason I can think of that anyone would support Ishihara Shintaro is of a racist reason and no other.

One of the part-Japanese girls that I had been with in America's friend told me (long after I had stopped hanging out with the girl,) that she had gone to Japan for two weeks and she hated every second of it. She told her friend (who told me,) that people didn't treat her nice and everyone seemingly wanted to hang out with full Japanese girls even though she looked more Japanese than American.

It was interesting, if I were her I wouldn't go to Japan but in my case? Being a white kid over there sure has its perks.

Josh

Back
Top Bottom