What's new

Asashoryu heavy favorite in Osaka

Hachiko

後輩
17 Jan 2004
Do Mongolians rock or what!? 😌 😄
A sumo article from the Japan Times

ss20040314a1a-1.jpg

Yokozuna Asashoryu is the man to beat at the Spring Grand Sumo Tournament in Osaka after winning the New Year Basho with a perfect 15-0 record.

OSAKA (Kyodo) In a performance to rival "The Terminator," yokozuna Asashoryu proved he was literally unstoppable in January as he went undefeated at the New Year Grand Sumo Tournament to capture his fifth Emperor's Cup.

The 23-year-old Mongolian brawler, who became the first grappler to win all 15 bouts since yokozuna Takanohana achieved the feat in 1996, will be aiming to show that his new reign of dominance is no fluke when the Spring Grand Sumo Tournament kicks off Sunday.

Japan Times

He's 23 years old...and he's a yokozuna...wow... 😌 👍

Did anyone else see the fight last night?!!?

I love Asashoryu, he's a great one. Hopefully I will be seeing him at this Spring Bashou.
BUT SWEET MOTHER, DID ANYONE ELSE SEE HIS BROTHER FIGHT BOB SAP?
Yep, it's true. Last night in K-1 "Burning" his brother took on Sap. Asashoryu's brother actually did OK, even got a take down on Sap, but Sap got him in a choke hold and really messed him up. After that, one of the Mongolians there literally threw in the towel, and that was the end.
Too bad, I actually think with a bit more practice he could win, it looked like he had Sap for awhile.

Has anyone here tried Mongolian wrestling? It's hard as hell, and alot like Sumo.

Go Asashoryu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🍾

I forgot to add;

After the match, Bob Sap ran around the ring with his trophy, and proceeded to challange Asashoryu to a fight...

Maybe Sap is jealous that he's not a yokuzuna?

Back
Top Bottom