What's new

Asahara is sentenced to hang

Hachiko

後輩
17 Jan 2004
Finally, the Aum Shinrikyo head get sthe death sentence! Justice has been served. Here's an article from the Japan Times:

Aum Shinrikyo founder Shoko Asahara was sentenced to death Friday for ordering a series of crimes carried out by his disciples, including the March 1995 Tokyo subway sarin attack.

The widely expected sentence was handed down by the Tokyo District Court after a trial lasting seven years and 10 months. Asahara, 48, stood accused on 13 counts in connection with crimes that caused 27 deaths.

The counsel for the guru, whose real name is Chizuo Matsumoto, immediately filed an appeal.

nn20040228a1a-1.jpg

Japan Times

Good. The bastard deserves it.

The great thing about the death penalty in Japan is it's carried out pretty quickly compared to the U.S., and no one has a problem with it since the penalty is usually given to only brutal and/or mass murderers.

Golgo_13 said:
Good. The bastard deserves it.

The great thing about the death penalty in Japan is it's carried out pretty quickly compared to the U.S., and no one has a problem with it since the penalty is usually given to only brutal and/or mass murderers.

Give that, will the appeal pass? Or will it be turned down. I would think, given the circustances, it's the latter.

Good for him!!well,i think he is a crazy guy for the killing of so many innocent ppl...ya:(...and it took 8 yrs for the outcome...

several years ago read a jpn weekly magazine article about asahara/matsumotos ancestry: his gran....pa was a secret police officer of north korea. seems among kyushu-ites relatively thick relatives reside there... a site says a both big jpn and south korean religious organizations had funded aum..... btw there are lots of sports/tv personalities who are korean descendants: like a popular baseball exmanager now seems rehabilitated whose pa was from peninsula wrote a same kind of magazine.... perhaps to promote improved relationship between the two people???

The Washington D.C. area sniper was sentenced to death today.

He still maintains his innocence.

What was this weird thing I once heard about Aum claiming it was following Asimov's Foundation trilogy as a basis for their cult group? I still didn't understand that one, unless it was merely rumor... :eek:

Hachiko said:
Give that, will the appeal pass? Or will it be turned down.
Tokyo High Court Rejects Asahara's Appeal of Death Sentence (Mainichi)
The defense team could still file an objection against the High Court decision to Japan's Supreme Court, but Asahara will hang if the top court sides with the earlier decision, according to public broadcaster NHK.
Court Rejects Appeal for Aum Founder (Yomiuri)
Matsumoto's lawyers said they would file an objection with the high court.

If the objection is turned down, the defense can still file a special appeal to the Supreme Court. However, legal experts said the top court would be unlikely to overturn the high court decision, and the death sentence likely will be finalized without hearings at the high court.

I'm glad he was sentenced to death. Crimes like that are unforgivable. People follow religion/cults ignorantly, and this is the outcome.

The sentence was handed down long ago. What you meant to say is that the sentence was confirmed.

Why my reply be deleted?
Is that Japanese style of free speech?
your Japanese told the world again and again that
when a person die, he will immediately become deity and be
worshiped, no matter what he did during his lifetime.
your PM always use this as an excuse to explain his
shrine visit.
Am I wrong? I want your explanation.

Well, it sure took long enough for the trial and sentencing to finally reach this point, I dont think the courts would have had any other sentence than the one they gave him.

Finally the people's lives that were shattered by the sarin attack and the fear spread by Aum will get some closure. Unfortunately hanging isnt enough of a sentence in my opinion, but then again that's another thread or topic.

Something out of history, like the Spanish Inquisition, would probably be more appropriate in Matsumoto's case.

I wonder if he's enough of a nutjob to have a last word speech.

I'de rather he just rot in a prison but, he did a pretty horrible thing, anyone coulda been on the train, i coulda lost my girlfriend to that.

I guess in a way thats why its more personal then the london or madrid bombings for me, i dont go anywhere near london or madrid and i dont have family in london, well one but she has a car, but i could lost the most important person to me in the world, over a sick ****'s self delusion.

I hope he dies scared if he has to die at all, i dont want him to have the option of going out like a martyr.

Too bad, I would have rather seen him in a cell from 2x2 with no window, living in there until the day he dies... I think death penalty is to easy!!! easy punnishment.

Dutch Baka said:
Too bad, I would have rather seen him in a cell from 2x2 with no window, living in there until the day he dies... I think death penalty is to easy!!! easy punnishment.

Interesting, but I don't want to have to pay for his "room and board".

gs001 said:
Why my reply be deleted?
Is that Japanese style of free speech?
your Japanese told the world again and again that
when a person die, he will immediately become deity and be
worshiped, no matter what he did during his lifetime.
your PM always use this as an excuse to explain his
shrine visit.
Am I wrong? I want your explanation.

Don't worry. My posts also deleted so many times.

In Holland "Death sentence" is forbidden. So I fully agree with my compatriot Dutch Baka: Put this type of idiots behind the prison bars for the rest of their lifes.

I do not support capital punishment.

There have been people condemned of homicide, and then afterwards discovered to be not guilty. This evidences that judicature organization is not 100% correct. True, you may jail somebody unintentionally, but if a mistake is discovered it's more facile to free them than to upraise an already deceased person.

Hachiro said:
Interesting, but I don't want to have to pay for his "room and board".
Your paying for those who appeal. You want him to suffer then let him rot in jail instead of giving him the martyrdom that he thinks this might achieve. I agree with Dutch (we have no death sentance in the UK either)

Isn't death by hanging though...A bit medievil perhaps? Don't they have the lethal injection or electric chair?
In england it costs on average ツ≫??4,000 to keep each prisoner in prison, i'm sure its pretty expensive in japan as well, although prison would probably be a much better punishment, do you really think he's worth the money?

Mycernius said:
Your paying for those who appeal. You want him to suffer then let him rot in jail instead of giving him the martyrdom that he thinks this might achieve. I agree with Dutch (we have no death sentance in the UK either)
I know I'm paying for the appeal and for his incarceration as well, I dont want it to be to the end of his natural life either. He could live to be a 100 it isnt worth it.

There have been people condemned of homicide, and then afterwards discovered to be not guilty. This evidences that judicature organization is not 100% correct. True, you may jail somebody unintentionally, but if a mistake is discovered it's more facile to free them than to upraise an already deceased person.
Today 00:58

Minty, that may be the case some where else but NOT here. If this guy was let free watch the Japanese people go on a rampage against the crimminal judiciary system. Oh Matsumoto would probably only last a few days at the most as chances are someone from the general public would murder him. In effect carrying out the "capital punishment".

If you were given the option of pulling the rope and being the exectutioner would you do it?

Tokis-Phoenix said:
Isn't death by hanging though...A bit medievil perhaps? Don't they have the lethal injection or electric chair?

The electric chair was meant to be a more civilized/humane method of execution. In actuality, it turned out to be pretty barbaric. A properly conducted hanging (which Japan does not do, by the way), is almost certainly preferable to being cooked in the chair.

That being said, executions, if they are to be done at all, should be to some degree barbaric. In adopting lethal injection we have decided to be humane at the cost of being inhuman.

Mike Cash said:
The electric chair was meant to be a more civilized/humane method of execution. In actuality, it turned out to be pretty barbaric. A properly conducted hanging (which Japan does not do, by the way), is almost certainly preferable to being cooked in the chair.
That being said, executions, if they are to be done at all, should be to some degree barbaric. In adopting lethal injection we have decided to be humane at the cost of being inhuman.

I suppose you are right about the electric chair, i have heard many cases of it failing very badly now that i think about it, but i don't agree that executions should be "to some degree barbaric". The need to induce suffering to one who has done wrong is a basic primitive human instinct in itself, how can we say we disagree with say, burning people at the stake or beheading them and stuff, when we still feel that it is nesarsary to induce suffering in execution? Its just a matter of who decides whats morally correct...In ghengis khans time, boiling people alive was one of the normal forms of execution for treason or murder and things, now days we call that horibly barbaric. But if we still believe execution should be at least barbaric to some degree, can we really look down on the methods of execution used in ghengis khans time morally? I don't think we can if we hold that way of thinking.

pipokun said:
Don't worry. My posts also deleted so many times.
I am not worry, my posts were often deleted in Chinese forums too
But I believe to any forum the more tolerant the more popular.
back to Aum Shinrikyo affair,
religions can control people's thought like that, really terrible.
As an atheist, It is incomprehensible for me to see believers of
any religion kneel down in front of something out of thin air.
In the long history of human being, religions played a very negative
role, why people still worship their god who never be able to even
prove the existence of itself.

Back
Top Bottom