What's new

Article: Japan Pushing for Controversial Fighter Jet Deal

Mikawa Ossan

いかんわ!
17 Sep 2005
Quoted from english.chosun.com

Japan Pushing for Controversial Fighter Jet Deal

A U.S. newspaper has reported that Japan is seeking to purchase 100 F-22 stealth fighter jets from the U.S., putting South Korea and China on alert.

The Washington Times newspaper said on April 20 that Japan expressed a desire to buy 100 F-22 fighter jets worth US$30 billion and the matter will be on the agenda at a summit between U.S. President George W. Bush and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe slated for next week.

The U.S. newspaper said that some U.S. conservatives support Japan's bid, saying Japan needs the fighter jets to counter North Korea's missile threat and China's intimidation against Taiwan.

The F-22 is considered the most advanced stealth fighter aircraft in service and can perform intelligence and reconnaissance missions. With an operational radius of more than 2,000 kilometers, it could even target mainland China beyond the Korean peninsula from Japan. That's got both South Korea and China worried about the possible deal.

South Korean military authorities believe that if Japan buys the jets it would create a serious air power imbalance between South Korea, China and Japan. That could prompt Seoul to revise its air power buildup plan.

Beijing is also alarmed by the possible deal. Quoting the Hong Kong daily Wenweipo, China's semi state-run news outlet China News Service reported Sunday that the purchase would break the 20-year military balance in the Taiwan Strait between mainland China and Taiwan.

Some observers predict it will be a while before Japan acquires the F-22 because the U.S. is reluctant to export the aircraft which was deployed on active duty just two years ago. And a U.S. ban on the overseas sale of the jet that was imposed in 1998 has not been lifted.

A South Korean defense expert predicted that Japan will be able to purchase the F-22 jets after 2015. The expert said that South Korea urgently needs to rewrite its plan to beef up its Air Force by 2020 since the plan was drawn up without taking the possible F-22 deal into account.

([email protected] )
Copyright (c) 2007 The Chosun Ilbo & Digital Chosun Ilbo All rights reserved.

Because Korea and China are frightened to purchase the fighter that Japan is new,
I consider the purchase of F-22 to be effective for a deterrent.
However, Korean F-15 fell into a manhole and was broken,
A Korean air force is a menace.
Korea purchased the latest plane, but two planes were already lost.
The Air Self-Defense Force decides introduction of an aerial tanker (KC-767) which I remodeled Boeing 767 into
Strategy time of a fighter of the Self-Defense Force is prolonged greatly.
This one is effective for a deterrent.
The present, concern of the Self-Defense Force,
A new antisubmarine patrol aircraft and the new carrier which are behind with development.

窶榔窶氾冷?認ツ好, people. 窶榔窶氾冷?認ツ好.

I can understand why Japan would want to defend themselves against North Korea. China seems to me like less of a problem.

窶榔窶氾冷?認ツ好, people. 窶榔窶氾冷?認ツ好.
Qvid?

Translation, please.

South Korean military authorities believe that if Japan buys the jets it would create a serious air power imbalance between South Korea, China and Japan. That could prompt Seoul to revise its air power buildup plan.

This crap gets on my nerves. The Koreans are still mad about World War II. Not even the Vietnamese are angry at us; in fact American tourism there is really helping their economy out.

The Koreans and the Japanese seriously need to bury the hatchet, and I really think that the U.S. government should try to start fostering goodwill between the two nations. There is no reason for the Japanese to bomb South Korea with these bombers, and personally, I say "Let them buy 'em". Maybe they'll get the things to transform into giant robots.

Anyway they are too expensive toys which few countries can buy.
If Japan wants Euro-Fighter jet, the U.S. would bargain?😊

Qvid?

This crap gets on my nerves. The Koreans are still mad about World War II. Not even the Vietnamese are angry at us; in fact American tourism there is really helping their economy out.
The Koreans and the Japanese seriously need to bury the hatchet, and I really think that the U.S. government should try to start fostering goodwill between the two nations. There is no reason for the Japanese to bomb South Korea with these bombers, and personally, I say "Let them buy 'em". Maybe they'll get the things to transform into giant robots.

Korea was different from Vietnam and does not do war of independence.
You may think that it is unbelievable, As for the Korean.
they stop a logical thought to hide the disgraceful act, and hysteria is always caused.
I feel a feeling of repulsion for a farce of a Korean.
At the time of World War II , They are not victims.

I personally do not see why these jets are necessary for Japan's SDF. They seem to be a little too powerful with too much range just for "defense". I suppose one could take the view that the best defense includes the means to take out production facilities and bases located on your enemies' soil, but...

If the enemy is North Korea, isn't this overkill? Seriously.

If the enemy is China, then I can understand better, but I wasn't aware that the Chinese government was taking a hostile stance towards Japan.

Back
Top Bottom