What's new

Are you raising bilingual/bicultural kids in Japan?

RegDunlap

先輩
19 May 2004
Hi Everyone:!

I'm starting a research project about bilingualism, specifically how bicultural families in Japan approach bilingualism and child raising. I've created a survey on Survey Monkey to collect the data. If you could, I'd like to ask you to participate by filling out the survey. It is all multiple choice, and shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to complete. If you are like me, you are curious as to what other people do/did to introduce their children to English, and how successful it was.

I'll post the link to the survey below. Feel free to pass it on to anyone you think may be interested in participating, or post it on your social media accounts if you like! The more data I collect, the better the results will be.

Thanks, and feel free to drop me a line/private message if you have any questions!

Survey link;

Bilingualism at home Survey

In case you're not aware of it: bsig

Click on both Journal and Monographs and, after ordering or downloading some PDFs, do some reading to see what has been going on in that SIG for a good 25 years.

We're in there somewhere, I'm not sure exactly where.

Last edited:
Secondarily, you're asking people to provide somewhat personal information, including possible contact information, while you don't provide much of anything about yourself.

In order to gain trust from those you are asking to provide that info, you might want to more formally introduce yourself (real name), some of your academic background & training (maybe a relevant publication, if you have one), the school you are affiliated with, and so on.

PS--I could be wrong, but your survey seems to be coming from a very newbie POV, from someone who hasn't read much about it, or about bilingualism in Japan.

Hello people! Yes, I am raising bilingual kids, as I am European and my husband is Japanese. We also lived in USA and our kids were going to a preschool. They had a lot of educational programs to educate an open-minded anti-rasist generation that would help such people integrate much easier in social groups and to give up their boundaries. I am glad that my children had this option and they have no more fears of switching languages or talking about family origins.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also raising billingual kids having them attend a supplimentary school for Japanese. It is much easier in this generation in the USA that is true. Some of my nikkei family did not teach their kids Japanese because of racism after the war. In the late 40s early 50s they tried very hard to be accepted as American. Looks like you are in Australia, I was going between a job in Sydney and Denver and it ended up being Denver. Sydney had what looked like a great billingual school so one would only need to attend one school.

Many of the old WWII vets that fought the Japanese hated them till the day they died. In 72 , when I wrote home that I was marrying a Japanese woman , my father wrote back , "Don't bother coming home , you're not my son anymore". As it ended up , I married a woman from England and all was well , LOL.

Back
Top Bottom