Votes: 1 16.7%
  • others?

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

mad pierrot

I jump to conclusions
22 Nov 2003
an English teacher in Japan?

I'm curious! I know quite a few people in the JET programme. It seems to be the most popular. From what I know, the JET programme pays the best, too.

I have my own classes. Recently I've started some childrens classes which are really fun. I don't care what negative things people say about teaching english in Japan - I love it! I have so much fun teaching ;)

I dont do any english teaching here or in japan. But my friend is in japan at the minute teaching english through NOVA. She says its going alright at the minute.

She has a degree, but i dont know if you need one to work for NOVA? :confused:

Porl''

nope anyone can work for NOVA. You get 3 days training and then you're a teacher. I personally don't care for NOVA's teaching methods, but I know of a few people who work for NOVA and are having no problems working for them.

haha! yeah! she says that the holdays are abit weird. She's only managed to get christmas day off work. And they work all through the week and up to really late times at night. She's on the late shift. When she told me that i thought it sounded weird for a teacher...sounds like a factory worker..."the late shift". Well, i think she works 5 days but 2 of them are on the weekend....

Porl''

Sadly, I used to work for NOVA too. NOVA has a very structured program that does not allow for any creativity. I found it too structured, to the point that students were only exposed to some points of English, without any chance to understand them.

NOVA definitely stands for NO VAcation. National holidays are the days when you get the most people wanting to take lessons....

"National holidays are the days when you get the most people wanting to take lessons...."
is that because they have a lot of free time then? thanks in advance

my [j] friend hated/hates nova, but (i think) that was because she dated a few of the teachers, said they were playboys

I'm actually starting my job here in April teaching for a private english school.

anyways, anyone have any pointers for teaching adults and getting them ready for Toeic?

NOVA spends more on TV adverts than on its programe.
Its the McDonalds of English teaching. Sure you can consistant money but at what price? No social life, loads of hours that add to about 1800yen an hour and you get to work for total pricks too. These pricks used to be like you but were assimillated by the Overlord Nova.
No offence meant , Im sure there are some really respectable McDonald workers out there.
Im just letting off steam.
Nova and all those other types of factory schools are a good way to get into teaching in japan because basically nothing is as worse as them after you have left.
Nuff sed

Back
Top Bottom