What's new

Are we all dreamer?

thatsme

先輩
11 Feb 2007
When you feel disappointed about how the government in whatever country you live, it is very natural to blame it, to moan, to complain etc...

And that is the only thing we can do about, "complain" till one day some one decide to work in the government, and by luck became the leader.

Once you are there at the top the things that you said you wanted to change do not materialize for the obvious reasons, till someone else take over your post, does'nt it sound familiar? the very famous vicious circle.

We human would like to change the world, but are'nt we dreaming?

I think even if you had a noble mind in government, you would still achieve very little of what you wanted to change. At least in America, there is too much "bureaucratic red tape" to get things done. That, combined with pressures from your political party, makes it difficult to change things like you might want to. Besides, the U.S is set up to be a Democratic-Republic, so you're not the only one making the decisions. There are just so many people against you.
I'm not so sure changing the world would be best gone about through government. Perhaps in other disciplines, such as music, art, or movies. You have to first change the people before you can change the government, IMHO.

The three beats of war, peace and revolution (as a certain OVA termed it).

I don't think all dreams are fruitless, if as a result of one's aspirations just 1% comes true then it was not without meaning.

As far as governments go, they all seem to be undone in the end by a corruption of what they're meant to be for (imo).

The government is meant to be the elected representation of the will of the people. That idea seems to get mixed up, particularly when government members decide that they are experts and know better, when they decide that they should be paid an exorbitant wage, when they think that falling into step with the rest of their political organisation is more important then representing their constituency members (a major failing of party politics imo) and when they're more concerned with looking good and getting re-elected than trying to run the state how those who pay for the state would like it to be run.

I don't believe the situation is hopeless though by a long shot. Things can get better, just as they can get worse. The capacity for change (both good and bad) is important within government as nobody can see what the future holds (one of the great ideas of the founders of the USA was to make the constitution a changeable document to suit the times).

Humans want good things, and we all send our lives trying to make things a little better (although often only for ourselves).

The bad thing with having two different sides (liberals/conservatives), is that once a president representing either one of the parties leaves office, the next president may have completely different views and will have to clean up the so called "mess" of the previous administration. It's usually indicative when there's a switch of parties of course. But it can happen even when their isn't a switch. Also, people may dislike what their current president is doing, but only in the long run will we realize how much bad or good it made. Societies should always be in it for the long haul. You never know, everything that Bush has done that people disagree with now could very well turn into something good. Not plugging for Bush, nor am I saying that people shouldn't complain about what makes them unhappy. That brings me to another point. You can't please everyone all the time. There will ALWAYS be people who have problems with the way their government runs things.

Dreaming is one thing. Doing is another. So, I would have to say that most of the world consists of dreamers for now. But the world just might suprise us someday.
Things will change once tolerance and patients spread.

Once you are there at the top the things that you said you wanted to change do not materialize for the obvious reasons, till someone else take over your post, does'nt it sound familiar? the very famous vicious circle.

I think that there are a lot of politicians who do have "dreams" for their country and try to get these things done, but because they're not in the highest positions or paying someone powerful who can help them, their ideas get put to the side. But sometimes these ideas get through. There are senators in the U.S. who come up with interesting ideas for bills, but it has to go through such a long process that it ends up being twisted from what it was meant to be in the beginning.

When people get to a powerful position, the power and money is probably like a drug to them and the ideals that they came to office with get pushed to the background.

Your word "dreamers" reminds me of this poem - I found it years ago on a herbal tea box(!), but I really like it:

DREAMERS

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams;
Wandering by lone sea breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams.

World losers and world forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams;
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world forever, it seems.

By: Arthur O'Shaughnessy

There has to be some rules/regulations for people to collectively live together. So there will always be those who are for or those who are against a certain rule/law. No government can please all of the people all of the time.

Change is slow, but with information technology, new findings, a cross-proliferation of knowledge, will humanity gradually become as a whole happier, more humane, and more into thinking win/win. That has been humanities trend for the past few thousand years, with humanity playing larger and larger win/win games, and humans becoming more and more humane. Hard to imagine though looking at the newspapers and at history that that is actually happening.

No matter, what good or bad dreams you might have at the begining of your political career, on your way to the top, you'll have to fight lots of power-hungry, greedy despotic sharks, who want the top, too. Once you have reached the top, after many years of fighting for it, you will most probably have turned into a shark yourself...

As long as "government" is still considered equivalent to power (like the power of masters over their slaves), instead of being a simple service entity, which is paid to make sure that, amongst other things, someone picks up our trash, this will not change IMHO.

As long as "government" is still considered equivalent to power (like the power of masters over their slaves), instead of being a simple service entity, which is paid to make sure that, amongst other things, someone picks up our trash, this will not change IMHO.

Yes, that's right. It's become corrupt because of the power and money involved. I think that in the beginning of U.S. history when the Constitution was written, the people of the government were meant to "serve" the people. It wasn't a high paying job, and I remember in high school learning that during the first presidential elections no one campaigned like they do now. They were nominated by others without doing anything themselves, and then it was considered polite for them to react humbly to being nominated and kind of hide in embarrassment, pretending to not want the position! How different it's become now!

Being a citizen I wish to have done lot great jobs for my country , If I were given a chance I would not be able to do the idealistic work for my country . The reason behind this is rules and regulations of country wouldn't allow me to go beyond the limits . One man can not change the whole system because he has only one vote to cast .I can say here we are just dreamers .

Zero-sum game - One person's gain is another's loss. Tennis is a good example of a zero-sum game, as is chess. Zero-sum games can be seen in history as well, with one nation taking over another.

Non-zero-sum game - Two or more people work together out of self-interest for greater benefit. A group of people manning a rabbit net will catch more rabbits than just one hunter working alone.

Negative-sum games - When there is no benefit for either side, and the consequences of beginning the game will be a loss for both sides.

Perhaps with all the nuclear weapons, the superpowers see no benefit in going to war with another superpower. From an economic perspective, lots of people would try to prevent a negative sum games, since at the very least the economic repercussions would be felt even by those far from the negative-sum game.

The opportunities to benefit from zero-sum games are becoming fewer and fewer, as we become more interpdependent, a lot of attempts to play zero-sum games would more likely end up as a negative-sum games. Self-interest insures that most people would see more benefit in playing non-zero sum games, and some benefit in getting rid of obstacles to non-zero sum games.

Corruption and the misuse of power if successful will more likely end up being a detriment to those that employ either, as it is more of a zero-sum game, not many people will help benefit the corrupt, cause there's little reason to do so. If there is an opportunity to get rid of some parasites or corrupt people, the general whole will most likely take that opportunity to do just that, and the number of people (again due to growing interdependence) that would see benefit in getting rid of a corrupt person or making a system more corruption free are many. It's never a great idea to oppose large non-zero-sum games, and corruption is almost always seen as an obstacle to those games.

Thus, while corruption will probably always persist, at least I see the trend moving towards less corruption.

I read all the posts.
and I feel that whatever our nature is, (positive or negative) power gets to you.
IS THAT NORNMAL OR NATURAL? I wonder.

It's probably natural, really - a sense of power makes a person feel in control, like they're strong and can do anything, etc. But at the same time, having power puts more responsibility onto a person. I think it's a sign of real maturity when a person in power takes their responsibility seriously. Unfortunately though, there are lots of cases where that doesn't happen.

We need more Canadians on this thread. I'm sorry I don't know much about politics, but the Canadian government is quite special, because each comunity in a city has a riding and a representative for that riding. People in that comunity can ask their representative to change somehting and it actually happens if there is good reason. Now, if many representatives in a city have the same complaints from the majority, than the mayor of the city is notified and that issue is changed for the city. If it is a provincial problem, than the provincial government can change it. If it is a federal problem, than it depends whether or not it is a majority government or a minority government in power and which position they take, ie:Liberal, conservative, environmental, social, etc... That position is very important because that is what the people of the country had asked for in the first place and such consistency is necessary in a government. In anycase, most Canadians I know rather like the government of Canada... but have arguments over who voted for who.

We human would like to change the world, but are'nt we dreaming?

I think by changing your country, is one step to changing the world.

This was always an issue for me whilst living in Japan as the voter turn out was very low.

I got sick of citizens within Japan complaining about certain issues within, then saying they would not vote because the next person was just as bad...

Voting in a democracy is a good start to change.

Just my two cents . .

I think by changing your country, is one step to changing the world.

This was always an issue for me whilst living in Japan as the voter turn out was very low.

I got sick of citizens within Japan complaining about certain issues within, then saying they would not vote because the next person was just as bad...

Voting in a democracy is a good start to change.

Just my two cents . .
I never voted, and never complained about the state of whatever country I have lived.
I bieleve that who ever is in power of a democratic system genuinely want to help the fellow citizen, it does'nt matter who is in power, whatever party that is.
The point is for me that I never felt a huge difference, still can't complain only because I can just about understand the other person position.
so I say to my self (BE ON OTHER PEOPLE SHOES) that is what stop me complain.
Cheers

P.S I really wonder if we had started again from the beginning and had the advantage to have learned from the past we human would get along.
But some how I doubt, (HUMAN NATURE) ?

Back
Top Bottom