What's new

Are there better ways to ask if someone have dog or cats?

Truzen

Kouhai
18 Aug 2015
Are there better ways to ask if someone have dog or cats? I am trying to say like this:

南野さんの家に犬と猫のどちらでもがいますか?

I thought in using the particle か, like: 南野さんの家に犬か猫がいますか? But I thought it could mean I am asking if there is one or the other as if they were mutually exclusive. And I thought if I use the particle と I would be asking if there is cat and dogs simultaneously or not.

Some of these options are apropriate? Thank you for the attention.

ペットを飼っていますか?
犬とか猫を飼ってますか?

The verb 飼う takes a slight bit of getting used to (sounds just like 買ってますか). But that's the phrase you want.

Edit: 犬いますか or 犬ありますか would also get the point across. I don't think they are incorrect per se, but the verb 飼う (かう) meaning to raise or to keep as a pet, is the best one to use.

Are there better ways to ask if someone have dog or cats? I am trying to say like this:

南野さんの家に犬と猫のどちらでもがいますか?

I thought in using the particle か, like: 南野さんの家に犬か猫がいますか? But I thought it could mean I am asking if there is one or the other as if they were mutually exclusive. And I thought if I use the particle と I would be asking if there is cat and dogs simultaneously or not.

Some of these options are apropriate? Thank you for the attention.
There is no problem with 犬か猫 (犬か猫を飼ってらっしゃいますか). If they have both, they would answer はい、両方/犬も猫も飼ってます, for instance.

When you use どちら, it should be どちら (犬と猫のどちらか), not どちらでも.

Back
Top Bottom