What's new

Are japanese scary movies really scary?

Souske

Oldbie
12 Jun 2003
Are they actually scary? I just seen the movie ringu Japanese version of the ring it freaked me out a lil bit lol

The ones i've seen generally have alot more atmosphere than your normal western horror movies..they are about freaking you out with the build ups and things rather than hacking away like a normal western horror movie.

The Ring (japanese) is real scary!.
Thinking back, Ju-on has some genuinly freaky bits...-shudder-

i dunno, there are really scary western films aswell, so i guess you will get good and bad...if that makes sense......i dunno.........im confusing myself! :D

Porl''

I have to investigate more japanese movies.

[I feel like a dectective saying that.]
;) You guys make them sound really good, i've seen a couple but its been awhile;)

hahaha I am a fan of japanese scary movies and I want more!! but I don't know were

I watch the ring, it doesnt seems tat scary, but wait, it's eerie and it haunts my mind for bout 1mth!!
dun dare to look at mirrors at nite, no tv at nite when nobody, went to cut my long hair (dun wana scare myself), cant look at reflections, hahaha

Originally posted by nata_no
I watch the ring, it doesnt seems tat scary, but wait, it's eerie and it haunts my mind for bout 1mth!!
dun dare to look at mirrors at nite, no tv at nite when nobody, went to cut my long hair (dun wana scare myself), cant look at reflections, hahaha

haha! thats what the films do to me. I think that they aint that scary when im watching them (for example : Ju-on. . . not the ring cus that scared me..eep) ..then i start thinking back to the film when im in bed about to go to sleep and all the eerie stuff comes back.. .. i think thats more what they are trying to get rather than shock value with arms flying off and hitting people in the face. . . . .although there are those films too.

Porl''

Originally posted by Porl
haha! thats what the films do to me. I think that they aint that scary when im watching them (for example : Ju-on. . . not the ring cus that scared me..eep) ..then i start thinking back to the film when im in bed about to go to sleep and all the eerie stuff comes back.. .. i think thats more what they are trying to get rather than shock value with arms flying off and hitting people in the face. . . . .although there are those films too.

Porl''
I think the baisis of the point of scary movies is the thrill of it you know it gets u hyped up and scared and **** and when it come to go to sleep u don't wanna and then nois's start to happen lol its fun to be scared.

You know that oval mirror in the Ring? Well, i was watching it at my friend's house at midnight, and she had one of those mirrors in her bathroom too! It was soo scary to go to the bathroom afterwards!

lol I have a promo poster for Ring right above my head by my bed... but unfortunately it's for the American version, so it just has that circle. Bah.

Yeah, I've seen both the first and second episode of the Ring (Jap version). I was watching it over at my friend's house when the phone rang along with the ringing tone from the movie... That creeped us all out and we had to run for the lights!

From what I've seen, "most" western movies consists of mindless hacking at each other's skulls like in Resident Evil, Scream, or Event Horizon. However; it seems that directors are putting more thought into establishing the storyline in the newer flicks instead of just plain killing, gore, and blood. I really enjoyed Gothika which had a pretty interesting storyline to it.

man i love asian horror but the best ones i have to say come out of japan but i dont like how america i remaking alot of them, its so not fair they should just release the originals for america to watch!

ring is very scary but there is alot of others out there too, dark waters is a good one, say guy who made the ring movies! also ju-on, pluse but if you can find it a really good one is Three!

I've seen both "Ringu" and "The Ring", and I think the Japanese version was scarier. One horror movie I'd love to see but can't seem to find is "Uzumaki" which is said to be a fright fest. Another that I've heard about is "Tomie" which is also supposed to be good at raising the gooseflesh! Both of those were adapted from manga by Junji Ito. Anybody heard of those two?

hey

ive heard of both those films, first Uzumaki isnt a scare movie compaired to Ringu, i thought it was going to be a really scary movie so when i watched it i was disapointed only when i watched it again did i realise that its so much better than Ringu in different ways! plus both those movies are based on Junji Ito's comics and i also have the Uzumaki comics and they are so hot, alot of the stories that never made it to the film are so great and very creepy, yup thats the word, Uzumaki is creepy not scary so if you can get a hold of it then go for it because its so amzing! nothing like it compared to Ringu which has many bad clones! Tomie ive not seen but is hot too!

Attachments

• 1uzumaki2.jpg
    1uzumaki2.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 243
yup its from Uzumaki, its from the end so i guess i might have spoilt abit of the end for you guys!! :) the whole story is based on people getting twisted by the Spiral, Uzumaki being the japanese word for Vortex/Spiral. does anyone else know any good Asian horrors??

Kwaidan. Academy Award winner - greatest award America has to offer. to quote Halliwell's Film Guide:
"A literally haunting film that is amongst the most beautiful ever made, with its succession of exotic, perfectly composed images and strange narratives."
Good recommendation... but unfortunately I can't second it, having not actually had the pleasure of seeing it myself yet....

Thanks for the pic, MM! I've read the Uzumaki graphic novels and thought it was the freakiest thing I've ever read. Nevertheless, I'd love to compare the movie version to the manga. And from what I've heard, Tomie sounds even freakier!
:eek:

I've watched Uzumaki, but feel kinda cheated to watch that movie, the story is quite good, but the movie is kinda duh.... abit cartoonish, thats what I think compared to the ring and the rest.

Has anyone watched Ju On? Find it quite scary too, and now part II is out!

hi Nata-no

uzumaki was suposed to be a comic thingy, thats what i thought too, i thought that it was going to be the ring but its only after i read the comics did the movie make sence and now i love it!!

as for Ju-on, alot of my friends told me it was one of the scarest movies ever! my friends brother in japan told me it even got banded it was so scary but when i saw it it wasnt as scary as other movies ive seen!

what gets me is ive got Phone, a really scary Korean movie kinda like ring but my dvd player dont play it, its a super multi region thingy so i got to buy a proper dvd player!

Nata-no what did you think of Ju-on? i didnt like the bits with the cats, when cats cry it scares me so much! ahhhhh ! :(

ill put some more screen grabs up! 😄

Attachments

• pdvd_027.jpg
    pdvd_027.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 232
I don't think I can get the movie in the US but I dunno I have to check either I have to import it I wanna see it!!!

Ju On is not as scary as the ring tho, but I guess Japanese will be quite freaked out cos it does happens under the table, futon and also their built in wardrobes.

I haven watched the phone, but think it will be scary too.
Just watched "the tale of 2 sisters", not that scary too, but interesting story.

kool, ive read about 'the tale of 2 sisters' but not seen it yet, the site i buy my dvds from is www.sensasian.com , yes asia i find is too expensive, maybe its cus im in the UK!

hehe Nata-no i think your thiery on why the japanese were scared of Ju-on is funny! :D

so do you think i should get 'tale of 2 sisters' then?? :p

Attachments

• ringu.jpg
    ringu.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 224
Back
Top Bottom