What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Are American Japan residents considered Gaijin?

Maciamo

先輩
Reaction score
mikecash said:
Failing that, at the very least you really ought to include a post in the old thread redirecting people. Quite often you fail to do that.

Usually I keep the thread title and add "OFFTPIC about ...", but here it was too long so I only wrote the new topic.

Sorry about not asking. I thought that it wouldn't be a problem. Note that you can tell which thread you have participated in (even if the title change or i is split) by looking at the icon next to the thread (e.g. "new posts"). If there is an arrow on the white or red envelope, then it means you have posted in that thread.

GaijinPunch

遠いから行きません
Reaction score
Usually I keep the thread title and add "OFFTPIC about ...", but here it was too long so I only wrote the new topic.

No worries, but maybe a heads up in the original thread would work. I generally don't go into a lot of the sub-categories (of which there are WAY too many if you ask me, but that's for another thread and forum).

Maciamo

先輩
Reaction score
GaijinPunch said:
I generally don't go into a lot of the sub-categories (of which there are WAY too many if you ask me, but that's for another thread and forum).

Do you use the "New Posts" (especially "Today's posts") option in the menu ? I always use that to find new posts. I works for all categories, or you can select just one forum (eg. "Japan Forum" or "Member Lounge") if you wish.

Subforums are just to organise threads, to have easier to find them when looking for something specific (e.g. 'politics' or 'Japanese food'). With less subforums it would look too chaotic with 18,000+ threads.

GaijinPunch

遠いから行きません
Reaction score
I don't use the New Posts feature, but I should. I'm all for organization, but I think that only needs to be done when there are an obscene amount of new threads per day. Say... over 150 in a 24 hour period almost every day. I've never ciounted, but I wouldn't think there are that many.

Maciamo

先輩
Reaction score
GaijinPunch said:
I don't use the New Posts feature, but I should. I'm all for organization, but I think that only needs to be done when there are an obscene amount of new threads per day. Say... over 150 in a 24 hour period almost every day. I've never ciounted, but I wouldn't think there are that many.

Oh, we typically have around 150 posts within 24h, and sometimes over 300. We have accumulated 259,964 posts in 18,116 threads in a bit more than 3 years, so that's indeed an average of 250 posts a day !

Davey

Contributor
Reaction score
Be Proud of being a GAIJIN:. wohoe...

Pierrot le Fou

十人黄色
Reaction score
The case of the Hokkaido onsen can be found on debito arudou's webpage (debito.org | Dr. Debito Arudou's Home Page: Issues of Life and Human Rights in Japan), but he tends to seek out such cases specifically. Not that he's a bad guy, everyone needs their cause, but he also tends to make things seem worse than they are.

The only places I have ever been seemingly denied entrance to (though not trying to enter) are bordellos in the many forms they come into, and love hotels (which I have tried to enter and been denied).

Most bars and whatnot post the signs to prevent Russian Sailors, and American Military folk from entering, because they negatively impact a business due to a lack of understanding of the etiquette involved. You will rarely see such signs on straight bars, but more often see them in Snack Bars or such places.

And no, you will never be considered Japanese. Even Santos (the soccer player on the Japanese national team) is considered a gaijin by most Japanese I've talked to, despite having a Japanese relative (grandparent perhaps?), having Japanese citizenship, and being able to speak Japanese.

As far as receiving Japanese citizenship (rather than residency), you need to have spent 6 years in Japan (preferably on the same type of visa -- rumour has it that switching, for instance, from a 3-year instructor visa to a 3-year humanity visa, or to a spousal visa, will hurt your chances), you need to find a sponsor, you need to write a one-page essay in Japanese and send it through the proper channels.

Top Bottom