What's new

Are 鼻濁音 spoken by newscaster only?

healer

Sempai
13 May 2019
Are 鼻濁音 がぎぐげご nga ngi ngu nge ngo part of standard contemporary Japanese but spoken by newscaster and older generation only?

I understand nasal sound is not supposed to use on loanwords but I still heard some sometimes.

Are 鼻濁音 がぎぐげご nga ngi ngu nge ngo part of standard contemporary Japanese but spoken by newscaster and older generation only?
Not really. Young people also use it. The following thread might be somewhat helpful.

I understand nasal sound is not supposed to use on loanwords but I still heard some sometimes.
鼻濁音 is not used except ング (e.g. キング, ソング, ハングライダー), but it's said that 鼻濁音 sometimes occurs in quite-commonly-used loanwords (e.g. タイガース (a baseball team), イギリス, ハンバーグ).

Thanks!

I heard somewhere the broadcasters on TVs or radios are trained to speak with the nasal sound where appropriate and they have to speak that way. Am I correct? I wonder why if no student in Japanese schools is taught that way.

鼻濁音 sometimes occurs in quite-commonly-used loanwords
How to determine when to pronounce nasal sound on loanwords then? Does it just happen haphazardly and one just has to learn as it goes?

I heard somewhere the broadcasters on TVs or radios are trained to speak with the nasal sound where appropriate and they have to speak that way. Am I correct?
Yes.

I wonder why if no student in Japanese schools is taught that way.
Professionals like announcers or (voice) actors/actresses are often required to use it correctly, but actually, most Japanese people, especially in western Japan, don't care whether it's used or not. In fact, there are many announcers who don't use it.

I agree with Mike-san's opinion in the thread I linked above.
It's the most trivial aspect of learning Japanese that I can imagine and it isn't worth a second of your time.

How to determine when to pronounce nasal sound on loanwords then? Does it just happen haphazardly and one just has to learn as it goes?
鼻濁音 only occurs on ング in loanowords in proper standard Japanese. I meant "some people pronounce" by "sometimes occurs".

If it is professional to do so then it must be correct and good. I agree with Mike-san's opinion but I also agree with what you said. You said in the same thread that "鼻濁音 is considered to sound elegant, so it would be better to use it if you can pronounce it correctly."

To learn to speak a language I think listening is very important. To hear it right I need to know what to expect so I need to know all possibilities . Of course I'm still a long way off to know all possibilities.

By the way, when I asked how to determine when to pronounce nasal sound on loanwords I was referring to examples like yours (e.g. タイガース (a baseball team), イギリス, ハンバーグ). I guess you meant to say "some people pronounce" that way which is not a standard and hence no pattern or justification, simply random.

To learn to speak a language I think listening is very important. To hear it right I need to know what to expect so I need to know all possibilities .
That's a reasonable opinion.:)

By the way, when I asked how to determine when to pronounce nasal sound on loanwords I was referring to examples like yours (e.g. タイガース (a baseball team), イギリス, ハンバーグ). I guess you meant to say "some people pronounce" that way which is not a standard and hence no pattern or justification, simply random.
That's right.

Thanks for all your help.
I have a curious question if you don't mind. I notice your title has changed from 4 characters to 3 characters. I looked up the meaning. Google Translate says "no fishing season". It doesn't make sense to me how it fits to be a title. The previous one didn't make sense to me either. I got the 後輩 all along which made sense to me. It was sometimes in kanji and sometimes in romaji. At one time it said 先輩 like today but it would drop back to 後輩 not long later. That also made sense to me. I guess titles must be automatically assigned by a program by counting how many message one has posted. But why would the program give you such a title? It beats me if you choose this title yourself.

I understand that 鼻濁音 is never used on the first syllable of any Japanese word. Does it apply to names as well, Japanese people's names and so on? I can't think of any country name at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom